Help on electrolitic caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2002, 10:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help on electrolitic caps

If I put two caps in serie, their voltage capacity will be doubled? Sorry if is very basic question!!
Old 7th February 2002, 11:21 PM   #2
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

As best as I can tell, you CAN NOT exceed the voltage rating of the capacitor. Your dealing with capacitors not resistors.Now it will surely have an effect on the capacitance. Take the formulas for determining resistance in series/parallel and reverse them for capacitance.
Old 7th February 2002, 11:39 PM   #3
Banned

Default Series Caps

Yes the voltage capacity will double and the capacitance value will be half that of the single cap for same value caps. You need to put a 100K resistor across each to make sure the D.C. voltage
divides equally across each cap. This has been done on tube amp power supplies for decades. Skippy, anything to add?
Old 7th February 2002, 11:59 PM   #4
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Nope, and I learned something new. That's what I like about this forumn. Speaking of tube amps, I'm about to build my very first one and looking forward to "regressing" as some SS guys would say. I also just bought an old Thorens turntable. Hey if your going to regress you might as well go all the way.

P.S. Harry you sound like an engineer/troublemaker. Welcome to the board.
Old 8th February 2002, 12:23 AM   #5
Banned

Red face Thanks Skippy

I think it is more like TROUBLEMAKER/engineer. Thanks for being a good sport. I am learning stuff on the Forum as well. If I could just get Grey to come out and play.....

H.H.
Old 8th February 2002, 12:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks. This save me some money. High voltage caps are very expensive here and dificult to find.

Hide this!Advertise here!