replacing vintage resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default replacing vintage resistors

Hello. I'm interested in replacing this batch of resistors in a vintage tube oscilloscope (circa 1955). I have all the values and about half are dead on but since I'm replacing all the caps on the board I want to replace the resistors as well. I would like to know what type of resistors are they and what would be better to replace them with. Wirewound, metal film etc.. Also the wattage is important. The small green ones are 4.5mm diameter with 10mm length. The longer one is 4.2mm diameter with 26mm length. I can see a spiral profile on that one and on the single black one with white spiral drew on it, also the small green ones seem to have a spiral profile underneath the cover but I can't tell for sure, I can barely see it. So, for vintage oscilloscope what is the best type of resistors to be used without breaking the bank?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg res.jpg (244.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 19th November 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

They look like carbon ones, But I would use 1% tolerance 1 watt and the big one like a 3 watts or 5 watts metal film resistors from Japan (Digi Key).

Let's wait and see what the other members think.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

As I searched a bit online I found that metal film would be a good choice. If there isn't some sensitive areas that I should use other types (like cathode) then it's settled. Thank you for the info
Old 21st November 2012, 03:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

there are 2 other properties of carbon resistors that are important and often overlooked :
1 they have no inductance
2 they have higher voltage specs

Especially #2 is important in tube circuits, and #1 can be important dependent of the circuit used, for example a grid resistor or high frequency/pulse usage.

Hide this!Advertise here!