diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Hookup wires for tube amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/223876-hookup-wires-tube-amp.html)

MGH 18th November 2012 10:40 PM

Hookup wires for tube amp

Wondering what kind of of hookup wire you guys have used and which you liked best. I'm considering OCC copper wire. The VHaudio OCC wire with Airlock seems interesting. Most have described OCC wire as very smooth but with detail, even a little dark. But I prefer that over bright. I tend to stay away from silver wire just because IMO it's a gamble. It can sound too bright and tonally thin sounding, although detailed. But if you know good silver hookup wire, I'd be interested. I find the Duelund silver hookup wire intriguing. thanks.

DF96 19th November 2012 12:08 PM

I just use ordinary copper, with PVC insulation. In my opinion there is no physical justification for anything else. Others will differ, but are unlikely to give any plausible explanation.

If you prefer silver, then use silver but you might then need to use expensive silver-bearing solder too (for valid metallurgical reasons, not sound).

mickeymoose 19th November 2012 01:08 PM

I 2nd. that. I like to ad to make sure the PVC is rated at 105 deg. C and 600V or higher. E

xjr100 19th November 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGH (Post 3246940)
It can sound too bright and tonally thin sounding, although detailed.

That's depends not only on type of metal, but on construction.
Just typical internet rumor that silver sound bright. Not at all for
DH-Labs revelation interconnect (pure silver) and DH-Labs Q10 signature (silver-plated), but true for QUD, Chords and others...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGH (Post 3246940)
But if you know good silver hookup wire

If you are in US you can easily get DH-Labs AG-18. Not cheap, but good hook-up. Teflon insulated, pure silver solid AWG18 hook-up.

Apex Jr 20th November 2012 10:35 PM

If you can use silver plated copper teflon jacket I have a lot, both stranded and solid core

Wire

AJT 20th November 2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeymoose (Post 3247474)
I 2nd. that. I like to ad to make sure the PVC is rated at 105 deg. C and 600V or higher. E

i 3rd that....:D

counter culture 20th November 2012 10:41 PM

Whichever you use (I use regular copper), it should be solid, not stranded, for its mechanical properties. You want to run these wires and NOT have them flex.

jrenkin 20th November 2012 11:14 PM

I would use something similar to what ever wire is in your output transformers and the rest of your amp. Probably is standard smaller gauge copper and there is an awful lot of it, so I can't imagine that a few feet of anything else would matter. If you sprung for fancy silver transformers, spring for the silver hookup wire too.

MGH 21st November 2012 04:19 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Silver transformers?! Those things cost a small fortune these days.

DF96 21st November 2012 10:35 AM

Remember that most goods are priced on what people will pay for them. The old method of 'cost plus fair profit' has long gone. Silver is more expensive than copper, but people who buy silver transformers are willing to spend much more than people who know copper is sufficient.