Where to purchase heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm researching building an amplifier (or, perhaps 4 - I'm considering building a Linkwitz Orion loudspeaker) and I'm not having much success with sourcing heatsinks. Does anyone have a vendor in the US that they've purchased from? If shipping isn't prohibitive, I'd consider vendors located elsewhere as well.

Thanks.

Paul Ebert

Heatsink cost

What is your budget? I just purchased some monster heatsinks but I paid a bundle for them, and then I spent even more having them black anodized. The heatsinks I bought are 7 inches tal by 14 inches deep with fins that protrude 3 inches. They are made out of 6063-T5 which is more thermally conductive than standard 6061 aluminum. I think I paid about $120 each (I bought 4). What is your budget, what size do you want, what kind of power do you need to dissipate, etc.?

Thanks for the info!

My budget? Hmm, well I'm trying to determine if I can build eight channels of around 60 watts each that will either sound better or be cheaper than buying an inexpensive commercial multichannel amp. I figure the commercial unit would cost about $1800, though I might have to limit myself to seven channels (of which I would use 6). These are to power a pair of Linkwitz Orion speakers (my dream project).

I'm currently considering building 4 ESP P3A amps. I am also considering some of the AKSA products. I'm certainly open to other suggestions, but I've reluctantly ruled out the Aleph series since it would generate too much heat.

If I build the P3A I would need 1 C/W, according to the website. I would run the amp to put out about 60 watts, but I do not know how much wattage is generated as heat. I guess I would like a sink that's about the same size as the PC board - roughly 3" x 6". Wider would be OK, but 12" x 12" seems too big (but, thanks Pete).

Thanks again for the reponses. I'll keep my eye open for surplus stock. BTW, I was not able to access the R-Theta website. It contained text that looked like the source for an HTML file or something. What's up with that?

Paul

Heatsinks in the UK

Matttcattt said:
sorry to hijack the thread :p

does anyone know of a cheap place for heatsinks in the UK? preferably the SW.

like the ones EE mark described, if possible. (~6" by 12" or bigger)

I bought mine at Richardson:

Richardson Electronics Limited
226 Berwick Avenue
Slough, Berks. SL1 4QT
England Phone: +44 (01753) 733010
FAX: +44 (01753) 733012

Internet: http://www.rell.com/International/UK.asp

2. Richardson Electronics Limited
Inspring House
Searby Road
Lincoln LN2 4DT
England

Re: Heatsinks in the UK

EE_Mark said:

I bought mine at Richardson:

Richardson Electronics Limited
226 Berwick Avenue
Slough, Berks. SL1 4QT
England Phone: +44 (01753) 733010
FAX: +44 (01753) 733012

Internet: http://www.rell.com/International/UK.asp

2. Richardson Electronics Limited
Inspring House
Searby Road
Lincoln LN2 4DT
England

wow, they have a wide selection from what i have seen. :xeye:

thanks for the link.

according to thier website, they only sell in bulk. did you get some individualy, or did you do a mass buy?

thanks again.

Re: Re: Heatsinks in the UK

Matttcattt said:

wow, they have a wide selection from what i have seen. :xeye:

thanks for the link.

according to thier website, they only sell in bulk. did you get some individualy, or did you do a mass buy?

thanks again.

I called them up (here in the U.S.) and they said they normally only sell bulk and if they had to order something I'd have to buy bulk but that they'd sell me anything that they happened to have on the shelf. They happened to have what I wanted which was model # 510-14M. The 510 is the heatsink (I yhink it was a Thermally part), the 14 means 14 inches long (I cut them in half) and the M means milled (which makes them smoother but costs a little more). Then I had them hard black anodized and they look fantastic! Can you send me a personal e-mail on DIYaudio? If so, send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a photo of the amp I'm building. I'd post my e-mail address but I don't want to risk getting a bunch of spam.

P.S. I paid ~ $124 for each heat sink (I bought 4) and the I paid ~ $160 to have them anodized so I dropped close to $700 on these (but that's for 4 channels of high power (with overkill)) but I figured it's a hobby so what the heck. Some guys restore old cars, some collect stamps; I figured I'd build a custom amp.

Re: Re: Re: Heatsinks in the UK

EE_Mark said:

I called them up (here in the U.S.) and they said they normally only sell bulk and if they had to order something I'd have to buy bulk but that they'd sell me anything that they happened to have on the shelf. They happened to have what I wanted which was model # 510-14M. The 510 is the heatsink (I yhink it was a Thermally part), the 14 means 14 inches long (I cut them in half) and the M means milled (which makes them smoother but costs a little more). Then I had them hard black anodized and they look fantastic! Can you send me a personal e-mail on DIYaudio? If so, send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a photo of the amp I'm building. I'd post my e-mail address but I don't want to risk getting a bunch of spam.

P.S. I paid ~ $124 for each heat sink (I bought 4) and the I paid ~ $160 to have them anodized so I dropped close to $700 on these (but that's for 4 channels of high power (with overkill)) but I figured it's a hobby so what the heck. Some guys restore old cars, some collect stamps; I figured I'd build a custom amp.

wow, thats alot of money (in my opinion anyway).

i get loadsa spam anyway, so ill post my e-mail here:

matttcattt@yahoo.co.uk

thanks alot, ill have to e-mail or phone them. :D

Re: Re: Heatsinks in the UK

EE_Mark said:
Matttcattt,

I just e-mailed you 5 pictures of the heatsinks. Let me know if you get them and what you think. They are Wakefield part # 6438.

EE_Mark said:
Matttcattt,

I just e-mailed you 5 pictures of the heatsinks. Let me know if you get them and what you think. They are Wakefield part # 6438.

wow! your case looks cool. :bigeyes:

i will e-mail them now.

thanks for the pictures. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.