Mains filtering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a very annoying problem where a bar fridge in the same room as my audio gear is causing very loud pops on my speakers when the compressor turns on/off.

Is there an easy way to fix this?
A mains rated filter cap across the fridge thermostat, etc?

Thanks.

There is probably a relay that switches the compressor on and off and everytime this happens, the relay contacts arc. Install a "X2" type capacitor across the relay contacts and it should cure the problem. You can start with 0.1uF/250Vac X2. Please note that this will be at mains voltage, therefore the necessary safety precautions must apply. Cheers.

Pops

The glitch on the power line is causing a pop in your system. There are two ways to approach this: Filter the glitch from the compresor or make the amp immune to the glitch. A combination of the two might be necessary. What kind of power amp? How much power? You might try putting 0.1 uF ceramic caps across the diodes in the bridge rectifier or, if the amp is not high powered, running it through an isolation transformer. Some of the better power strips for computers have some decent filtering in them. One of the power saving devices that you plug refrigerators into to save electrcitiy might even work.

industrial strength snubber -- like a Mallory Quencharc for relays, but from Electrocube:

Attachments

• electrocube.gif
    electrocube.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 270
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.