Morgan Jones Kapacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I contacted Suppression Devices and they make two types of the Morgan Jones (Kelvin connection) Kapacitor, 4-lead and 10-lead versions, both available in 10uF only. Does anyone know what the 10-lead version would be used for? Parralelling maybe? I didn't see them referenced in his new book.

They are pretty big, this box is about 8" long. I thought I had the wrong order when they first arrived!

I spoke with Campbell at SD and he said that Morgan found significant improvement with the added leads when using multiple stages. I havn't had the chance to use them or compare them yet but I look forward to.

Strange creatures....

Attachments

• kelvin cap.jpg
    kelvin cap.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 610
In terms of electrical connections, this is outlined in great detail in Valve Amplifiers, 4th edition. Basically, it's a Kelvin connection, one set of leads go to the supply, another set go to the load- they connect right at the cap foils, reducing the effect of ESR from the leads on coupling of ripple and signal between stages.

In terms of electrical connections, this is outlined in great detail in Valve Amplifiers, 4th edition. Basically, it's a Kelvin connection, one set of leads go to the supply, another set go to the load- they connect right at the cap foils, reducing the effect of ESR from the leads on coupling of ripple and signal between stages.

After seeing pg 374 (courtesy of google books preview) I understand how a single 4 lead kelvin cap would work. For 4 stages I have trouble imagining where the 10 leads would go because the basic premise is 4 leads per cap which (after consulting with my fingers and toes) would yield 16 leads if I were to assume 4 capacitors (because of 2x2 stage/channel) and extrapolate from what I currently understand.

They are pretty big, this box is about 8" long. I thought I had the wrong order when they first arrived!

I spoke with Campbell at SD and he said that Morgan found significant improvement with the added leads when using multiple stages. I havn't had the chance to use them or compare them yet but I look forward to.

Strange creatures....
The picture is of 8 leads . I am mising some here . Looked at page 374 in the book and am confused as to 4 leads on each end. Thanks for the insight .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.