replacement caps - newbie question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have an old pioneer sx-1280 with 4 100V 15000uf Elna caps. I would like to replace them with Vishay's 100V 22000uf caps. Could I go as high as 250V 47000 uf caps without system degradation? Is this neccesary? Or just staying with the 100V with any capacitace value I choose be ok?

JH

JH,

I would stick to the original values.
If you go much higher like the 47k uF, you can destroy your rectifiers when switching on the power.
Usually 15k uF is more than enough, and from my experience the quality is more important than the value, soundwise speaking.
I have no experience with the Vishays, but the Elna's are fine.

Hope this helps,
Dick.

Replacing Caps

No need to go above 100 volts; it will only add to cost and size. The more capacitance the better (more storage and filtering); you'll get tighter bass and less distortion but, like Dick pointed out, if there is no power-on inrush current limiting circuitry and they use borderline cheap diodes in the bridge rectifier it may stress them. You can pick up a beefy bridge rectifier for less than $10; if you decide to get some big caps you might want to beef up the bridge rectifier at the same time.

HexFreds

I've seen some audio guys talk about how great HexFreds are but there's no reason they would sound better. I'd just find a 25 or 35 Amp bridge rectifier and you'll be fine. You don't need fast switching whrn you're dealing with 50 or 60 Hz. Put a 0.1 uF cap across each diode for noise suppresssion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.