miniature crimp on connectors? lots of tiny wires... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 02:47 AM   #1
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default miniature crimp on connectors? lots of tiny wires...

I have a vintage keyboard that a rat got into and chewed out big sections of wire bundles. I have to replace sections of 50+ wires that are small, probably 28AWG. I don't want to have to solder all those little pieces in, so I'm hoping to crimp in wires.

My issue is that typical crimp-on butt connectors are relatively bulky, compared to the small/tight wire bundles. Has anyone used any miniature crimp on connectors they could recommend? It would be especially helpful if they were insulation-displacement connectors, so I don't have to strip the wire ends.

I've been searching, but no luck so far. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.JPG (151.4 KB, 145 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Based on your photo it doesn't look like there's enough room to stagger 50 crimp splices over a foot or more of cable length, to avoid building up a "rat in the boa" kind of bulge. I'd concede that the rat won this time, and resign myself to spending some long winter evenings rebuilding the bundle by replacing entire wires.

Dale
Old 8th November 2012, 07:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, its going to take a lot of time one way or the other...
Old 8th November 2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Does Hirose make anything that would work?
Old 13th November 2012, 01:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've always wondered where to get insanely tiny connectors. Unfortunately, nothing that would suit my need...
Old 13th November 2012, 02:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Can you source a "donor" chassis and use the harnesses out of it? This has worked for some old automobile stuff I have done, so thought I'd ask. Good luck with the rework and sorry the rat bastage messed it up.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:02 PM   #7
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can get "butt" crimp connectors that are much smaller than the typical red/blue/yellow ones, they are used for telephone connections typically. As already pointed out, you will quickly build up bulk even with the smallest available crimp connectors. I would solder and shrink. It is more work, but less bulky, and you won't need to worry about a bad crimp. Use a very high quality stripper (I use Klein brand) to make that part relatively painless.
Old 13th November 2012, 06:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordheis View Post
Can you source a "donor" chassis and use the harnesses out of it? This has worked for some old automobile stuff I have done, so thought I'd ask. Good luck with the rework and sorry the rat bastage messed it up.
The instrument is a pretty rare and expensive Yamaha synth from the 70's. I like your idea, but the wiring harness is all but infinite. I can only imagine it would take years to remove, if there was one available...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy View Post
You can get "butt" crimp connectors that are much smaller than the typical red/blue/yellow ones, they are used for telephone connections typically.
Could you point me to those connectors somewhere on the internet? I've been really trying to find them, but so far had no luck. I realize they may not work, but I'd like to have them in hand before deciding. Thanks!
Old 14th November 2012, 02:02 AM   #9
bill_a is offline bill_a  United States
diyAudio Member

How about using the contacts (only) from crimped DB-xx connectors, like these from Amp: Subminiature D Pins/Sockets for MIL-C-24308 and MIL-C-39029 Product Feature Selector - TE (avail. from Digikey).
Crimp them on and cover with heatshrink. I've done it and if you use the screw-machined ones, they're very reliable. I know, pain in the patush, but...
Bill
Old 14th November 2012, 11:55 AM   #10
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Could you point me to those connectors somewhere on the internet? I've been really trying to find them, but so far had no luck. I realize they may not work, but I'd like to have them in hand before deciding. Thanks!
The last place I remember seeing them is Radio Shack, years ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!