miniature crimp on connectors? lots of tiny wires...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a vintage keyboard that a rat got into and chewed out big sections of wire bundles. I have to replace sections of 50+ wires that are small, probably 28AWG. I don't want to have to solder all those little pieces in, so I'm hoping to crimp in wires.

My issue is that typical crimp-on butt connectors are relatively bulky, compared to the small/tight wire bundles. Has anyone used any miniature crimp on connectors they could recommend? It would be especially helpful if they were insulation-displacement connectors, so I don't have to strip the wire ends.

I've been searching, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 169
Based on your photo it doesn't look like there's enough room to stagger 50 crimp splices over a foot or more of cable length, to avoid building up a "rat in the boa" kind of bulge. I'd concede that the rat won this time, and resign myself to spending some long winter evenings rebuilding the bundle by replacing entire wires.

Dale

You can get "butt" crimp connectors that are much smaller than the typical red/blue/yellow ones, they are used for telephone connections typically. As already pointed out, you will quickly build up bulk even with the smallest available crimp connectors. I would solder and shrink. It is more work, but less bulky, and you won't need to worry about a bad crimp. Use a very high quality stripper (I use Klein brand) to make that part relatively painless.

Can you source a "donor" chassis and use the harnesses out of it? This has worked for some old automobile stuff I have done, so thought I'd ask. Good luck with the rework and sorry the rat bastage messed it up.

The instrument is a pretty rare and expensive Yamaha synth from the 70's. I like your idea, but the wiring harness is all but infinite. I can only imagine it would take years to remove, if there was one available...

You can get "butt" crimp connectors that are much smaller than the typical red/blue/yellow ones, they are used for telephone connections typically.

Could you point me to those connectors somewhere on the internet? I've been really trying to find them, but so far had no luck. I realize they may not work, but I'd like to have them in hand before deciding. Thanks!

Possibly

BS22-M - PANDUIT - TERMINAL, BUTT SPLICE, CRIMP | Farnell United Kingdom

US Stock so should be on the US farnell site
@ 2mm OD. but will soon build up bulk as you use more.

Those look perfect, thanks for the reference. Hopefully I can find an insulated version.

The last place I remember seeing them is Radio Shack, years ago.

Thanks - I did find some locally: IN-LINE TELECOM BUTT SPLICE CONNECTOR | AllElectronics.com But the wierd thing is that both wire enter on only one end. Why would they do that?..

How about using the contacts (only) from crimped DB-xx connectors, like these from Amp: Subminiature D Pins/Sockets for MIL-C-24308 and MIL-C-39029 Product Feature Selector - TE (avail. from Digikey).
Crimp them on and cover with heatshrink. I've done it and if you use the screw-machined ones, they're very reliable. I know, pain in the patush, but...
Bill

Those look good too, thanks. I'll probably give them a try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.