Coupling cap physical size matters ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
AC439 is offline AC439  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Coupling cap physical size matters ?

I have gotten a few different 2.2uf coupling capacitors to play around with yesterday and I feel that the physical size of capacitors does matter even with same or comparable values. I did search the forum but most discussions are on PS caps. Here's what I have :-

JLH 1996 dual rails class A amp
Tannoy MKII speakers
ipod touch line out as source

Cap 1) West-Cap 0.68uF 50V
Cap 2) Siemens 2.2uF 100V MKL (CELLULOSE ACETATE)
Cap 3) ERO 2.2uF 100V MKT1813

* I never have any WIMA on hands to compare.

At first, the input cap was two West-Caps in parallel. Then I changed them to Siemens. Finally tried the ERO. Ended up back to West-Cap three in parallel (to make up to about 2uF).

The West-Cap is the largest in terms of physical size with the lowest voltage. Siemens and ERO are about same size but different dielectric materials. The Siemens are actually very good but gave me a somewhat different sound that I'm not used to. I can't say its good or bad but just different and I don't know how to discribe it. The ERO gave me the familiar sound of the MKT type caps but the bass seemed a little weak. The tripled West-Cap has the best warm sound, liquid feel and the details I like.

Overall, the physical size of the "West-Cap array" is much larger compare to a single Siemens or the ERO. I also noticed (from pictures) the highly regards WIMA are also physically large as well. Therefore, I want to conclude physical size does matter.

What do you guys think ?

Hide this!Advertise here!