Low profile toroidal transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a low profile toroidal transformer. Searched through the net and it seems I will have to make it custom made as no one sells a transformer with my requirements.

It would be a simple transformer for an audio amplifier application with 300VA from 230V to 2x25V. The only special requirement for the transformer is the max height that could not be more than 38 millimeters / 1.5".

Of course I did a search here before I posted my question and saw someone mentioned Toroidy. Already asked him but unfortunately he is not able to make that custom transformer.

Do you have any idea where should I try to make that custom made?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can you use two 150 VA transformers instead? One for the "plus" supply and one for the "minus" supply?

The power handling capability of a transformer is proportional to the cross-sectional area of the transformer core. The actual core area depends on the core material and such, but there isn't a whole lot of flexibility there. It sounds like you're up against the laws of physics. Let me tell you from experience ... physics always wins! :)

~Tom

I see no reason why I could not use two 150 VA transformers.

The only problem I could think of is the size that two transformers require two times the space required by one. :D I will figure this out when I found a suitable transformer with its outside diameter specified.

Anyway, I do not want to go against the laws of physics, I am just thinking, planning and asking - fool questions sometimes :cool:.

@tomchr, do you know a place where I could buy or ask them to make a 150VA transformer for that height?

Checked again various sites selling transformers but in the desired power range (150VA) none of them sell a transformer with the maximum height I am looking for.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Toroidy.pl make excellent transformers and I would imagine could give good advise as to whether its doable in that height.I seem to remember Naim used big VA transformers but they always seemed relatively low profile but with a big diameter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.