Binding posts from ebay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mundorf terminals are still very expensive. I do actually have a set of them here at home but they're meant for another build.

I guess I'll go with the Jantzen from Sweden then if nobody else can tell if the ones from Ebay are good or not. But 320SEK ($48) for a set of binding posts is still quite expensive.

Cut a big hole in the panel, maybe 100mm by 60mm
Glue and screw a thinner plate over the hole on the inside of the speaker.
Mount your terminals on that thinner plate.

The recess seen on the outside looks nice (in my view) and helps protect the terminals from knocks etc.

Montreal is pretty far away though, like on the other side of the planet. Remember that I live in Sweden, not in America.

Zman: Yes they're cheap and easy, but I want something that looks good too. That's why I want that clear plastic and either copper or silver (gold feels too mainstream).

Montreal is pretty far away though, like on the other side of the planet. Remember that I live in Sweden, not in America.

Zman: Yes they're cheap and easy, but I want something that looks good too. That's why I want that clear plastic and either copper or silver (gold feels too mainstream).

Aha... fashion statement. :)

So besides the clear plastic here a "Satin Nickel":

Dayton Audio BPA-38SN HD Binding Post Pair Satin Nickel 091-1247

I got a pair of the gold ones some time back - size and construction is good - looks more expensive than the "cheap and easy" one.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nicklas,

The binding posts need to be removable from the outside, do not be tempted to put them thru the back panel. So you need a cup or need to make your own removable plate. If you do not you will be cursing yourself sometime down the road. Trust me on this.

The Jensen's have far to much metal for me, the 2 eBay ones are cheap clones of the WBT and not worth using (i have cups i retail for $8/pr that outperform those).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The mundorf's look much better but are at a price where one would look at Eichmann Cable Pods or WBT next gens (what i'd use if money was no object). Do note that the big heavy solid copper WBTs are not very good at all, being outperformed by the cheapies i use -- those WBTs can be improved just by discarding the nut.

tpcu670c-b.jpg

The ones Ed links to are interesting (dirt cheap/minimal metal if often a good sign, no pretense), but limit you to banana plugs (and i'd get dual pomonas long before i got the fancy looking ones he linked)

Thanx for posting that link Multisync. Of the posts they have, these are what i'd consider the best Bornier à banane plaqué or pour boîte de son - Accessoires pour haut-parleur - HAUT-PARLEUR, but are the least desirable of 4 versions of that cup (mine are the most desirable), they must buy at much larger quantity than i do -- but they do ram home that spending $$$ for bling does not necessarily bring sonic goodness.

The minimalist ones Zia points to use the same posts my cheapies (and the ones from Montreal) use, and are very useful when you don't have room for a cup. I keep some on hand for that purpose.

These are a step up from the cheapies, and a good choice if you build your own aluminum post panel http://www.partsconnexion.com/product7483.html. They can also be fitted into the cups with the cheap posts i have (require some fiddling with the mounting hole)

If you are not exchanging speaker connections often, the best way to use a binding post is to run the internal wire out of the box, and using bare wire connections on both it and your speaker cables, use the binding post as a clamp to hold the 2 bare ends together.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.