Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
willyp is offline willyp  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Speaker cable, need some advices \ opinions.

Hey,

I'm interested in building my own speaker cable, using UPOCC Neotech copper from NEOTECH - Solid Core Copper, PVC Jacket (UP-OCC Mono-Crystal design)

Here's some sketch that I designed, the total length of the cable supposed to be 2.5 meters (8 ft) = (x2 left \ right)

Questions:
1. What do you think about the isolation? is that 'allowed' to use a several isolation materials? (PVC+Cotton+PET sleeve)
2. Is that 'allowed' to use multi-stranded with solid-core?
3. What do you think about the whole thing?

I will use XLO 24K gold spades in both sides as termination (+shrink tube).

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks, and sorry for my English.
Attached Images
File Type: png 5c5z7f.png (50.7 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by Pano; 6th October 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: fixed image
Old 8th October 2012, 10:56 AM   #2
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I think you are wasting your time and money. That is my opinion. Except in pathological cases (including some 'high end' cables, whether DIY or expensively bought), any sound degradation introduced by a speaker cable will be entirely negligible when compared to the effects of the speaker itself. Interconnects are more important, although still relatively unimportant when compared with the electronics.

Others will disagree.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What equipment are you propsing to use this cable on .. make and modle would be a great help..
Old 8th October 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I think you are wasting your time and money. That is my opinion. Except in pathological cases (including some 'high end' cables, whether DIY or expensively bought), any sound degradation introduced by a speaker cable will be entirely negligible when compared to the effects of the speaker itself. Interconnects are more important, although still relatively unimportant when compared with the electronics.

Others will disagree.
Everything makes a difference , yes very much so ...
Old 8th October 2012, 12:05 PM   #5
TV7 is offline TV7  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ahh make sure they are oxygen free copper, cyro-treated, radium treated, NOS Russian Soviet Military cables and you will have no problem! except your bank account balance........
Old 8th October 2012, 12:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Simple..
Borrow some so called super cables - compare them to reasonably high current (modestly priced) equivalents [in a blind test - you need someone to help..].. If you can identify the so called better cables most of the time - spend your money if not , like most people I know who have tried this, spend your money on something that makes a noticeable difference... You may have guessed in my inexperience [tested in a recording studio situation] there is (very) little to be gained here..

Ported
Old 8th October 2012, 05:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't like the solid coreof your neotech cable. Diffilcult to make a good crimp to industrial spade lugs. 16 ga wire is pretty wimpy for power amps over 60 watts per channel. I like surplus (from the dumpster) industrial 3SO10 or 4SO10 cable. Also sold by the reel at industrial supply houses. 10 gauge, multistrand copper extra flexible wires. Easy strip rubber insulation, rated 600 VAC. Regular industrial wire is 19 strand, not very flexible. On my Dynakit ST120 amp or CS800s amp I can hear the difference on high frequencies (bells, top octave grand piano) between 25' of 16 gauge zip cord, and 8' of 10 ga 4SO10 cable. The ST70 amp has too much harmonic distortion (1%?) for this difference to be audible. This is using the 8 ohm (5.5 minimum) SP2-XT speakers.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:49 PM   #8
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
1. What do you think about the isolation? is that 'allowed' to use a several isolation materials? (PVC+Cotton+PET sleeve)
I've seen some speaker and power cables, there were cotton or similar stuff, but sure it was not for isolation, the purpose was filling the space to look cable round after outer jacket is weared on it.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have built new cables using Cat 5 UTP cable, following these instructions: The "Full Frequency Range Cable"

I am very happy with them. They do not sound worse than my expensive cables in my main system.

Michael
Old 13th October 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

copper is wonderful stuff. It conducts electricity very well.
The only substance better is Silver.

Avoid corrosion on your copper and your have the next best thing to using silver.

You can avoid the corrosion by plating. The plating can be silver, or tin, or solder (tin/lead) referred to as tinned copper.
But is solder (tinned) copper still available now that we are supposed to be rohs?
Add some insulation.

You don't need anything else !

Hide this!Advertise here!