unpotting, solvent, melting agent, removal agent, for transistor or IC cases??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have a large quantity of recently acquired transistor (TO-92 case, if that matters) that I am convinced are bogus versions. Yes they function, but the curves don't match the mfrs at all.

I would like to un-pot via chemical means the die + leads from the plastic case. What can be used that works??

Mechanical means are not an option.

I can then compare the known good NOS devices to the recently acquired devices and probably know for sure... maybe. Well, if it is night and day, then for sure. We have microscopes.

_-_-bear

PS. a search or two did not reveal this answer... if there is one.

Glacial acetic acid is a good starting point. The more drastic alternatives should be avoided, as they are really nasty (not that acetic acid is a treat). A better alternative would be to check the parts out and see if they've been remarked, the usual conterfeiter's strategy ( actually making parts is too much work, so just get some inferior parts/castoffs and mark them with a hot-selling number).

Are the parts laser marked, or with ink?

Why aren't mechanical means an option? I've split TO92s well enough to see the die and confirm what it was. If you have a lot to experiment with, crush a couple in a vise from the sides and see if they'll split. Don't know what type you're dealing with, but I always found the old National Semi book on discretes useful as it had a die image for each type. I was able to ID many surplus house numbers that way.

I can try the mechanical method(s)... would prefer a straight melt away... no diamond wheels here right now...

...Conrad, I will try the vise crush method, do you mean the flat & curved sides , or the wide side in the jaws of the vise?

These are not Nat Semi parts. I will have to compare NOS to these... regardless they do *not* look the same when curve traced.

Found online in a paper that commercially strong acids are used, and that the die remains impervious... doesn't seem like "plan A".

wrenchone, I am unsure if they are laser marked, they well may be. they don't look quite right under a high power loupe. I'd say, not ink, now that you mention it. I can test for that with a bit of acetone, that ought to remove the ink and not the laser etch, I would expect.

What effect will the glacial acetic acid have on the plastic??
How long in the acid??
Have you done this??

Also, it might be easier to get "battery acid" than glacial acetic.
Is there an easy source for glacial acetic (I used to get Kodak, but that was when there were still stores that sold photo supplies for the home darkroom)?

bottom line here is Grrrrr...

Last edited:
Fuming nitric acid (you get it to fume by boiling it) will disolve the mold compound.

Use very little acid, a fume hood and other safety equipment. It's very nasty business.

A much better idea would be to engage the services of an independant semiconductor failure analysis lab (let them play with the acid).

at this price point, the independent lab will cost more than the parts... :(

regular nitric acid won't do a thing??
wish I could hit it with a laser and heat it locally to boil a teeny tiny bit...

carp!

_-_-

I think I am stuck with being screwt, as they say.

They are jfets, fwiw, and they do function, just that they are very unlikely to the be ones that were claimed. Bummah...

As I said, a number of solvents and ready-made mixes can do it (not all will work on epoxy B):
Attack Epoxy Solvent
Global Specialty Products - environmentally safe, non-hazardous, non-flammable, biodegradable and recyclable aqueous and solvent based industrial cleaning products.
You can also try mixes of commercial products, based on methylene chloride (paint stripper) or benzyl alcohol ( http://flexisolv.com/documents/FlexiSolv Benzyl Alcohol Technical Data Sheet.pdf ) for example

These are relatively harmless compounds.

Some (much nastier) chemicals may be more effective:
dimethylformamide (DMF), cyclohexanol, diethyltoluamide, aniline (at your own risks)

In general, it will be necessary to heat the mixture and let the part soak for several hours

These are relatively harmless compounds.

Fully cured epoxy doesn't actually dissolve, the "solvents" actually tear it up and dissolve the pieces. And if they'll tear up epoxy, they'll not be very good for humans to touch or inhale. If they're certified as safe, conversely, they won't tear up cured epoxy.

Ventilation, goggles, and gloves at a very minimum!

From Reworking Cured Epoxy.pdf

7. Thermal shock. Large differences in thermal expansion rates between a substrate, adhesive or component can stress the epoxy and create joint separation as well as bond line lift. Thus, by imposing severe thermal fatigue on the adhesive joint, de-bonding can be accomplished simply by the thermal-mechanical differences of adhesive and substrate.

I'll see if i can find any of the "safer" products. Maybe they will actually work.

The die is teeny, tiny. Anything that does less than more or less gently remove the 'plastique' will likely mess up the die. By contrast opening the top of a random metal can transistor was a piece of cake. Easy to see the die clearly.

Cracking the case in a vise yielded a small square nondescript square with no clear surface or connections and a non flat surface... a mess.

I've yet to destroy any NOS part, since there is no point in that until I have a good way to get the job done... :(

Bwwaaaah! :(

Thanks for the ideas.

Yes, obviously but everything is relative.
Do you have an idea which substance this MSDS refers to?

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW

Appearance: colorless clear liquid. Flash Point: 16.6 deg C.
Warning! Causes severe eye irritation. Flammable liquid and vapor. Causes respiratory tract irritation. This substance has caused adverse reproductive and fetal effects in humans. May cause central nervous system depression. May cause liver, kidney and heart damage. Causes moderate skin irritation.
Target Organs: Kidneys, heart, central nervous system, liver.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes severe eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure.
Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high concentration. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Chronic: May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.

Eyes: Get medical aid. Gently lift eyelids and flush continuously with wate r.
Skin: Get medical aid. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Inhalation: Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. Do NOT use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
Notes to Physician: Treat symptomatically and supportively. Persons with skin or eye disorders or liver, kidney, chronic respiratory diseases, or central and peripheral nervous sytem diseases may be at increased risk from exposure to this substance.
Antidote: None reported.

RTECS#:
CAS# 64-17-5: KQ6300000
LD50/LC50:
CAS# 64-17-5:
Draize test, rabbit, eye: 500 mg Severe;
Draize test, rabbit, eye: 500 mg/24H Mild;
Draize test, rabbit, skin: 20 mg/24H Moderate;
Inhalation, mouse: LC50 = 39 gm/m3/4H;
Inhalation, rat: LC50 = 20000 ppm/10H;
Oral, mouse: LD50 = 3450 mg/kg;
Oral, rabbit: LD50 = 6300 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 7060 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 9000 mg/kg;
Carcinogenicity:
CAS# 64-17-5: Not listed by ACGIH, IARC, NTP, or CA Prop 65.

Epidemiology: Has been shown to produce fetotoxicity in the embryo or fetus of laboratory animals. Prenatal exposure to ethanol is associated with a distinct pattern of congenital malformations that have collecetively been termed the "fetal syndrome".
Teratogenicity: Oral, Human - woman: TDLo = 41 gm/kg (female 41 week(s) after conception) Effects on Newborn - Apgar score (human only) and Effects on Newborn - other neonatal measures or effects and Effects on Newborn - drug dependence.
Reproductive Effects: Intrauterine, Human - woman: TDLo = 200 mg/kg (female 5 day(s) pre-mating) Fertility - female fertility index (e.g. # females pregnant per # sperm positive females; # females pregnant per # females mated).
Neurotoxicity: No information available.
Mutagenicity: DNA Inhibition: Human, Lymphocyte = 220 mmol/L.; Cytogenetic Analysis: Human, Lymphocyte = 1160 gm/L.; Cytogenetic Analysis: Human, Fibroblast = 12000 ppm.; Cytogenetic Analysis: Human, Leukocyte = 1 pph/72H (Continuous).; Sister Chromatid Exchange: Human, Lymphocyte = 500 ppm/72H (Continuous).
Other Studies: Standard Draize Test(Skin, rabbit) = 20 mg/24H (Moderate) Standard Draize Test: Administration into the eye (rabbit) = 500 mg (Severe).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.