Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 07:27 AM   #11
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

As I said, a number of solvents and ready-made mixes can do it (not all will work on epoxy B):
Attack Epoxy Solvent
Global Specialty Products - environmentally safe, non-hazardous, non-flammable, biodegradable and recyclable aqueous and solvent based industrial cleaning products.
You can also try mixes of commercial products, based on methylene chloride (paint stripper) or benzyl alcohol ( http://flexisolv.com/documents/Flexi...ta%20Sheet.pdf ) for example

These are relatively harmless compounds.

Some (much nastier) chemicals may be more effective:
dimethylformamide (DMF), cyclohexanol, diethyltoluamide, aniline (at your own risks)

In general, it will be necessary to heat the mixture and let the part soak for several hours
Old 5th October 2012, 08:51 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
These are relatively harmless compounds.
Fully cured epoxy doesn't actually dissolve, the "solvents" actually tear it up and dissolve the pieces. And if they'll tear up epoxy, they'll not be very good for humans to touch or inhale. If they're certified as safe, conversely, they won't tear up cured epoxy.

Ventilation, goggles, and gloves at a very minimum!
Old 5th October 2012, 12:08 PM   #13
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

From Reworking Cured Epoxy.pdf

Quote:
7. Thermal shock. Large differences in thermal expansion rates between a substrate, adhesive or component can stress the epoxy and create joint separation as well as bond line lift. Thus, by imposing severe thermal fatigue on the adhesive joint, de-bonding can be accomplished simply by the thermal-mechanical differences of adhesive and substrate.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:48 PM   #14
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I'll see if i can find any of the "safer" products. Maybe they will actually work.

The die is teeny, tiny. Anything that does less than more or less gently remove the 'plastique' will likely mess up the die. By contrast opening the top of a random metal can transistor was a piece of cake. Easy to see the die clearly.

Cracking the case in a vise yielded a small square nondescript square with no clear surface or connections and a non flat surface... a mess.

I've yet to destroy any NOS part, since there is no point in that until I have a good way to get the job done...

Bwwaaaah!

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:10 PM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

wow, that dichloromethane and dimethylformamide (DMF) mix in the "Attack" are nasty, dangerous.

the fuming nitric acid seems nice by comparison...

maybe this is not worth doing.

_-_-
Old 5th October 2012, 02:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Dichloromethane on itself is not that nasty: I have used it countless times and without too much care I have to confess, and so far I've managed to survive (maybe a bit damaged though ).

I wouldn't recommend to anybody to do the same however.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:16 PM   #17
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Causes cancer in rats at 500ppm... got any cheese?

_-_-bear
Old 5th October 2012, 03:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Also potent free radical source if exposed to UV. I'd avoid it.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, obviously but everything is relative.
Do you have an idea which substance this MSDS refers to?

Quote:
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW

Appearance: colorless clear liquid. Flash Point: 16.6 deg C.
Warning! Causes severe eye irritation. Flammable liquid and vapor. Causes respiratory tract irritation. This substance has caused adverse reproductive and fetal effects in humans. May cause central nervous system depression. May cause liver, kidney and heart damage. Causes moderate skin irritation.
Target Organs: Kidneys, heart, central nervous system, liver.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes severe eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure.
Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high concentration. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Chronic: May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.

Eyes: Get medical aid. Gently lift eyelids and flush continuously with wate r.
Skin: Get medical aid. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Inhalation: Remove from exposure and move to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. Do NOT use mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
Notes to Physician: Treat symptomatically and supportively. Persons with skin or eye disorders or liver, kidney, chronic respiratory diseases, or central and peripheral nervous sytem diseases may be at increased risk from exposure to this substance.
Antidote: None reported.

RTECS#:
CAS# 64-17-5: KQ6300000
LD50/LC50:
CAS# 64-17-5:
Draize test, rabbit, eye: 500 mg Severe;
Draize test, rabbit, eye: 500 mg/24H Mild;
Draize test, rabbit, skin: 20 mg/24H Moderate;
Inhalation, mouse: LC50 = 39 gm/m3/4H;
Inhalation, rat: LC50 = 20000 ppm/10H;
Oral, mouse: LD50 = 3450 mg/kg;
Oral, rabbit: LD50 = 6300 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 7060 mg/kg;
Oral, rat: LD50 = 9000 mg/kg;
Carcinogenicity:
CAS# 64-17-5: Not listed by ACGIH, IARC, NTP, or CA Prop 65.

Epidemiology: Has been shown to produce fetotoxicity in the embryo or fetus of laboratory animals. Prenatal exposure to ethanol is associated with a distinct pattern of congenital malformations that have collecetively been termed the "fetal syndrome".
Teratogenicity: Oral, Human - woman: TDLo = 41 gm/kg (female 41 week(s) after conception) Effects on Newborn - Apgar score (human only) and Effects on Newborn - other neonatal measures or effects and Effects on Newborn - drug dependence.
Reproductive Effects: Intrauterine, Human - woman: TDLo = 200 mg/kg (female 5 day(s) pre-mating) Fertility - female fertility index (e.g. # females pregnant per # sperm positive females; # females pregnant per # females mated).
Neurotoxicity: No information available.
Mutagenicity: DNA Inhibition: Human, Lymphocyte = 220 mmol/L.; Cytogenetic Analysis: Human, Lymphocyte = 1160 gm/L.; Cytogenetic Analysis: Human, Fibroblast = 12000 ppm.; Cytogenetic Analysis: Human, Leukocyte = 1 pph/72H (Continuous).; Sister Chromatid Exchange: Human, Lymphocyte = 500 ppm/72H (Continuous).
Other Studies: Standard Draize Test(Skin, rabbit) = 20 mg/24H (Moderate) Standard Draize Test: Administration into the eye (rabbit) = 500 mg (Severe).
Old 5th October 2012, 05:52 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

In diluted form, yes, I have plenty.

Hide this!Advertise here!