diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Looking for silver digital coax (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/220756-looking-silver-digital-coax.html)

fructose 30th September 2012 11:34 PM

Looking for silver digital coax

To be used with Eichmann silver bullet plugs. I found some Furutech ag coax already but I do not know if that will fit. I need 1.5m and would like to keep the cost under $100 usd (just for the cable). Any suggestions?

DF96 1st October 2012 10:28 AM

Don't waste your money?

Silver coax will do one of the following:
(a) nothing
(b) small reduction in attenuation at UHF and microwave frequencies, which is likely to either:
(1) do nothing
(2) make jitter slightly worse

fructose 1st October 2012 11:40 AM

Hmmm...why do you suppose companies such as Wireworld and Kimber use silver materials in their digital cables then? I assume your increased jitter theory applies to silver plated occ and silver connectors too, right? In your opinion how can I make the best possible sounding/lowest jitter digital IC?

DF96 1st October 2012 12:00 PM

I have no idea why people would want to use silver for relatively low frequency connections. You will have to ask them. Might be driven by marketing rather than engineering?

I don't know about 'best possible sounding' but for lowest jitter you want coax which has the right characteristic impedance (which means ordinary decent stuff, not cheap CB feeder cable or expensive 'audiophile ripoff' stuff either). Accurate terminations will help, but that is down to the equipment designer. In 1.5m you can't do much harm.

s3tup 1st October 2012 12:01 PM

Go BNC connectors, go nicely crimped BNC cables, make sure everything is 75ohm.

fructose 1st October 2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3tup (Post 3186122)
Go BNC connectors, go nicely crimped BNC cables, make sure everything is 75ohm.

Unfortunately, I need RCA's on both ends. I suppose I could use adapters, but they may change the sound a bit. <shrugs>

At the moment I'm leaning towards a manufactured Mark Grant G200HD. It's 100% copper and reasonably priced.

zibra 1st October 2012 11:06 PM

Viablue got something in offer if you really need it:

ViaBlue Bulk Cable

Einric 1st October 2012 11:11 PM

RG-400 Runs about $2.50 per foot and is Silver Plated Copper.
It's nice and thin with a braided center conductor.

fructose 1st October 2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zibra (Post 3186783)
Viablue got something in offer if you really need it:

ViaBlue Bulk Cable

Woah... that's a great vendor. Thanks!

Apex Jr 2nd October 2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Einric (Post 3186788)
RG-400 Runs about $2.50 per foot and is Silver Plated Copper.
It's nice and thin with a braided center conductor.

I have stock on some for $1.25 per ft
listed on my wire page at Apex Jr.Home Page