Looking for silver digital coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmm...why do you suppose companies such as Wireworld and Kimber use silver materials in their digital cables then? I assume your increased jitter theory applies to silver plated occ and silver connectors too, right? In your opinion how can I make the best possible sounding/lowest jitter digital IC?

I have no idea why people would want to use silver for relatively low frequency connections. You will have to ask them. Might be driven by marketing rather than engineering?

I don't know about 'best possible sounding' but for lowest jitter you want coax which has the right characteristic impedance (which means ordinary decent stuff, not cheap CB feeder cable or expensive 'audiophile ripoff' stuff either). Accurate terminations will help, but that is down to the equipment designer. In 1.5m you can't do much harm.

Quick question, RE: the earlier link, how do the bass frequencies know how togo downthe tin plated copper and how do the highs know to go down the silver plated wires. just curious.
For digital signal transmissionas DF96 stated, impedance mismatches are much more serious to signal degredation than whether the wire is copper, silver or silver plated copper. For Mil spec cables silver plating is for temerature range of the cable, not for any signal improvements.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I work with coaxial cable on a daily basis.
I can take two radios and connect them with the removed center conductor of coaxial cable the transmitter of one to the receiver of the other.
I can generate a 1khz tone that is carried on 155MHz with 2.5Kc of deviation and there is no measurable loss between the two radios even with 50' of coax center without the shield other than the cable loss itself.
If I add the outer shield I get the same results.
The same holds true with my preamp to amp, I have only connected the center pin on the RCA's and did not lose anything from not having the shield.

Look up digital or analogue signal transmission, there HAS to be a return current path.
You must be completing the loop some other how, cos current wont flow down wires without a return path, so it will find one. Your pre-amp toamp is probably using the saftey earth connection, rf uses the real earth I believe as a reference plane.
So the signal will find a return somehow,otherwise it aint going no where.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.