Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2012, 12:13 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Is that made by Belken? I may buy a bunch just to practice on.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

No... I'm not at my warehouse but would think it is made
by Thermax and is a Mil-Spec wire
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:06 AM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

RCAs are not constant impedance, unlike a well-made BNC, so the quality of the cable becomes almost irrelevant when compared with unavoidable reflections at the plugs/sockets. Should not be a problem, but absolutely no point in worrying about the cable when you have to use the 'wrong' connectors on the end.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quick question, RE: the earlier link, how do the bass frequencies know how togo downthe tin plated copper and how do the highs know to go down the silver plated wires. just curious.
For digital signal transmissionas DF96 stated, impedance mismatches are much more serious to signal degredation than whether the wire is copper, silver or silver plated copper. For Mil spec cables silver plating is for temerature range of the cable, not for any signal improvements.

Last edited by marce; 2nd October 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Any transmission over coaxial cable is carried via the center conductor.
The outer shield is just that, A Shield, it does not carry any signal.
The shield is an integral part of the cable that serves to help set the impedance of the cable.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Nope totaly wrong, the outer shield in a standard co-axial carries the return current, the return current is as critical as the normal signal especially in digital.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:45 PM   #17
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, the inside of the shield carries exactly the same signal current (but inverted) as the centre conductor. That is how coax works! In a well-made coax, properly used, the outside of the shield carries no current.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I work with coaxial cable on a daily basis.
I can take two radios and connect them with the removed center conductor of coaxial cable the transmitter of one to the receiver of the other.
I can generate a 1khz tone that is carried on 155MHz with 2.5Kc of deviation and there is no measurable loss between the two radios even with 50' of coax center without the shield other than the cable loss itself.
If I add the outer shield I get the same results.
The same holds true with my preamp to amp, I have only connected the center pin on the RCA's and did not lose anything from not having the shield.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Look up digital or analogue signal transmission, there HAS to be a return current path.
You must be completing the loop some other how, cos current wont flow down wires without a return path, so it will find one. Your pre-amp toamp is probably using the saftey earth connection, rf uses the real earth I believe as a reference plane.
So the signal will find a return somehow,otherwise it aint going no where.
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

At such frequencies the return currents find their way home by their own - usually thru air - parasitic capacitances or RF emissions. The "shield" just helps the currents to return, making-up the least impedance path which they tend to follow.

Hide this!Advertise here!