Mundorf Silver POI caps orientation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a prefered method of instalation with regard to lead polarity when used as coupling caps in a pair of Billie amps?
Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• mvc-374s.jpg
    mvc-374s.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,068
Usually the caps of such quality are marked with respect to the outer foil. There are some methods to find the outer foil and here you can read it how to check orientation: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=121813#post121813 and further, check the comments by jcarr.

I always pay attention to caps orientation when coupling and IME they usually sound best when outer foil is directed to the output. Both polarities will sound substantially different.

tom1356 said:
Thanks Peter. These dont seem to be marked in any obvious way.

I checked them and installed them last night. So far so good.

Hi,

I've jsut received them and have the same question about the orientation. Since they do allthe caps in using same procedure, I would kindly ask you to tell me the result of your research: orientation of mundorf solver/oil caps.

Thanks,
Matej

This type of cap actually consists of 2 caps in series, same as ERO KP1832, Arcotronics KP 1.72, and probably some other caps used for "pulse applications". As such it should be absolutely symmetrical, i.e. with two outer foils and an "inner foil" that bridges the two.

I have tested Oscilloscope on Mundorfs and others:

M- Cap Supreme Silver-oil All 14 pcs of different badge production All ware : opposite ( f- in name Mundorf on capacitor is the inner foil) Outer foil is where Mundorf start.

Those ware the same of All my Mundorfs 20 Pcs silver oil / silver Gold and Silver Gold Oil. Of different production periods from 2010 till 2014!

Duelund VSF and Duelund Cast 100v ware where the D- from Duelund starts the innermost foil. The last d letter from Duelund is the outermost foil.

Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap inner foil is as Duelund case. So innerfoi is on the side where J- from word Janzen starts.

Intertechnik Audyn True Copper Cap MKP 630VDC – this cap was the only one that was different story. 4 pcs ware the came case as Jantzen and Duelund. And 2 pcs ware the opposite direction. This was all folks. I hoop it will help you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.