2SK170 which to use gr bl or v? f? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 10:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2SK170 which to use gr bl or v? f?

2SK170 which to use gr bl or v? The gr draws the least current the v the most although most designs I have seem to use the bl version any major sound differences between the three?

Does anyone know about a 2SK170BL ADDC: (F) version? No info on the data sheet from Toshiba for the "f'" version. Thanks to anyone with info on these......
Old 19th September 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

It might help if you specify what the application is depending on the circuit higher or lower current draw may be desirable.

Sure it might sound better if you use the right one, but it won't be because A BL universally sounds better than a gr, it will be because it is more suitable for that particular circuit, and for a different circuit the gr may be a better choice.

Tony.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Good place to start understanding is with Erno Borbely's articles which appeared in Audio Electronics 5/99. Erno seems to have taken his site down, but the articles appear in several places:

http://ken-gilbert.com/images/pdf/er...y_on_jfets.pdf

There's not an easy answer -- it depends upon the impedance of the following stage and how the device is biased. There's a rule of thumb, however which states they sound best when biased to 70% of Idss.
Old 19th September 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I am using them to try out a few of the the moving magnet phono pres found on the web. I found out ADDC: (F) version apparently is the specific Toshiba batch code for the 2SK170BL. I am not sure if it is any better than non "F" versions.

I think most are using the "BL" version in the phono pre's but it is not usually specified. It is funny even the stop box people seem to like the BL over the GR stating it is smoother less harsh. Guess the high current "V" is harder to come by and maybe not used because of this?

Thanks for the Borbely article link. I scanned it but will read it more closely later on. Interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!