6n6p to 5687 adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 300b amp that uses 5687 driver tubes. I also have a bunch of Russian 6n6p tubes that are similar to 5687 with different pinouts that I would like to use.

I was wondering if there were some adapters available to convert 6n6p tube for 5687 socket.

I made couple of adapters myself using tube sockets, thick wire, and proto board pieces - not the most beautiful but functional enough to allow me to test 6n6p in the amp. All eBay sellers seem to offer all kinds of adapters but the one I need.

6n6p has identical pinout to 6n1, 6n1p, 6dj8, ecc88, etc...

How'd they sound? I take it the 9-pin sockets are mounted on PCB's.

jeff

I couldn't do the thorough comparison at night, my point was just to try and see if it works, besides it looks sort of ugly...
I took a proto pcb board, put thick wires through it and soldered them to the board, with the other end soldered to the tube socket so the tubes hovers an inch atop the pcb. The naked ends of the wire are sticking underneath the board and make tube "legs".
I talked to the maker of the amp and he couldn't say anything about 6n6p. At the time the amp was made (early 90's) those tubes were not available in the States.

I ordered some tube "saver" sockets and I will try and fashion some more elegant looking adapters out of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.