Nippon Chemi-Con Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was taking apart my Pioneer SX-1250 today for a routine cleaning, and noticed that 3 of the 4 main power supply caps have leaked some electrolytic fluid inside the case.

At some point they seem to have overpressured, as the "spattering" marks indicate the electrolytics exited at high velocity (evident spray corrosion pattern)

Anyhow, the amp still works fine, but I'd like to replace the damaged caps. The original Caps pioneer used were 4 separate 22,000MFD 80V large can types. The original brand is Nippon Chemi-Con, series CE W.

Nippon is still in business, but doesn't make the CE W line anymore. Does anyone know what the new compatible line would be, or where Nippon parts can be ordered?
Nippons website doesn't seem to be much of a help so far...

Pioneer still sells the caps -- but for a whopping $79 a piece.

Is is common for large electrolytics to leak like this, but continue to function? There doesn't seem to be any sign of present leakage...just corrosion and stains left.

Any help appreciated.

Hi

Capacitors would normally keep working even after loss of electrolytic fluid caused by overheating / pressurizing. However your capacity may have deteriorated, less uF's, and the equivalent serial resistance may have gone up. All resulting in lower performance. The biggest problem you may be facing is that your capacitor's lifespan has now been shattered, and they may only have short time to live from this point.

You may want to try Future Electronics, or Farnell as these companies are main distributors of this fine brand. Just add a .com after the above company names to find their homepages.'
The right price for a capacitor of this size is something like 15-20$

All the best from Denmark ....

Thankfully Newark stocks the caps at 29.99 each.

However, It seems as though the volt rating has gone up from 80 to 100V (no problem there), but the length has increased by .5"!!

I'm going to have to see if I can tweak the Pioneer Chassis a little big to sneak an extra half an inch in there somewhere. If you've ever seen the inside of one of these, things are pretty tight.

They stock a 18,000mFD cap that is the exact same dimension as the original 22,000mFD. Since pioneer greatly oversized the power supplies to begin with (My Kenwood KR-9600 of equal wattage uses 4 much smaller caps), I could probably take the hit in capacitance -- but it just wouldn't feel right!

Thanks for your help, guys.

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.