Magnet wire insulation that burns off in solder pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some time ago I got 200 small toroids wound by this place and the 1mm diameter wire they used had to have the insulation scraped off before you could solder it. I was expecting that they would use the type of wire that has that insulation that both burns off as you dip it in a solder pot and also acts as a flux so the solder coats the now exposed copper nicely.

Does anyone know what this kind of insulation is called so that I can ask for it next time I get this job done?

OBA (formerly OH Obrien) in Melbourne make the stuff.

The most common insulation is the PEI grade 2 (ie two layers) with its higher temperature rating of 200C. (PEI = polyester imide and is quite dark in colour) The other insulations are mostly made to order I understand.

I gather the solderable stuff is PUR which has a low temperature rating of 130C and is not used much anymore. (PUR is a polyurethane mix which is almost clear). It melts off with the soldering iron contact. Be careful with the fumes, apparently they're nasty.

I have just bought a 30kg reel after lots of research and PEI/2 was all I could get off the shelf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.