Gone for years....so what did I miss? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Gone for years....so what did I miss?

Wow, I just realized I got so busy I totally dropped out of diy audio for several years.

At the time I left, the late, great Blackgate caps were disappearing and everyone was looking for an equally great replacement.

Mundorf and V-Caps were getting a lot of great press of being some of the best available.

T-amps kits from 41Hz were really popular and also DAC and amp kits from DIYParadise. I think diy T-amps were stealing the thunder from diy chip amps and Gainclones at that time.

The Pass Labs F5 was the diy Pass amp of choice.

The interest in TVC transformers as volume controls was waning, and folks were just starting to get big on optically controlled preamps.

I'm finally in a headspace to get back into diy audio. So what has happened since then?

What are the parts of choice and the preamps/amps of choice these days? Did anything show up to fill the void that Blackgates left?

Inquiring minds want to know. It's really interesting how things change and progress, isn't it?
Old 25th August 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Progress? Most things on here go round in circles! Especially debates about components vs. circuits.
Old 26th August 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not just components! Exotic wire. Some people can hear the electrons move, banging their little heads at every kink they encounter! E
Old 26th August 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Full range drivers are all the rage among the younger crowd. ChipAmps are still very popular, especially National's LM3886. Because magnets have gone up so much in price, many manufacturers are moving to neodymium drivers, and large-magnet drivers are increasing in price. Some new and, presumably, better DAC's and clocks have become available. I can't think if anything really big in the past few years.

Welcome back!
Old 26th August 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Take a listen to a pair of decent Quad 57's and ask yourself if time has stood still while you were gone!

Regards
David
Old 26th August 2012, 05:35 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronInLawrence View Post
Full range drivers are all the rage among the younger crowd.
And the not so young.

And FASTs are finally statring to gain traction. Just now litening to my latest creation (thanx to Chris & Bernie (and Fostex & Peerless) my ideas realized). I am VERY pleased with them.

dave
Old 27th August 2012, 12:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

btw: wellcome back KT! E
Old 27th August 2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Z33 is offline Z33
diyAudio Member

Same thing happened to me, changed jobs a couple of times, got divorced, traveled the world ... the usual. My custom OB pair and UCD-based amp still sit in VA, as I now sit in CA.

Things have changed, a little. Some things have gotten easier. With a little poking around, discovered that I could now get a credible DAC for fairly cheap, and software to take advantage of my MacBookPro-based library. Fidelia on the Mac now runs an Audinst HUD-MX1 via USB, which also has the guts to drive my old K-701s, and with crossfeed.

Until I get my hand back in, also driving an ancient SAE Mk31b with the MX1, and a near ancient set of Cambridge Sound Works New Ensemble 1. It all sounds pretty good to my aging ears, and for cheap, but I know DIY can do better.

Hide this!Advertise here!