Gone for years....so what did I miss?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, I just realized I got so busy I totally dropped out of diy audio for several years.

At the time I left, the late, great Blackgate caps were disappearing and everyone was looking for an equally great replacement.

Mundorf and V-Caps were getting a lot of great press of being some of the best available.

T-amps kits from 41Hz were really popular and also DAC and amp kits from DIYParadise. I think diy T-amps were stealing the thunder from diy chip amps and Gainclones at that time.

The Pass Labs F5 was the diy Pass amp of choice.

The interest in TVC transformers as volume controls was waning, and folks were just starting to get big on optically controlled preamps.

I'm finally in a headspace to get back into diy audio. So what has happened since then?

What are the parts of choice and the preamps/amps of choice these days? Did anything show up to fill the void that Blackgates left?

Inquiring minds want to know. It's really interesting how things change and progress, isn't it?

Full range drivers are all the rage among the younger crowd. ChipAmps are still very popular, especially National's LM3886. Because magnets have gone up so much in price, many manufacturers are moving to neodymium drivers, and large-magnet drivers are increasing in price. Some new and, presumably, better DAC's and clocks have become available. I can't think if anything really big in the past few years.

Welcome back!

Same thing happened to me, changed jobs a couple of times, got divorced, traveled the world ... the usual. My custom OB pair and UCD-based amp still sit in VA, as I now sit in CA.

Things have changed, a little. Some things have gotten easier. With a little poking around, discovered that I could now get a credible DAC for fairly cheap, and software to take advantage of my MacBookPro-based library. Fidelia on the Mac now runs an Audinst HUD-MX1 via USB, which also has the guts to drive my old K-701s, and with crossfeed.

Until I get my hand back in, also driving an ancient SAE Mk31b with the MX1, and a near ancient set of Cambridge Sound Works New Ensemble 1. It all sounds pretty good to my aging ears, and for cheap, but I know DIY can do better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.