Help For a DiY Noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to the whole diyAudio community,my name is Antonio or Toni and i'm looking for some help/advice on how to swap out i think they are op amps in my M Audio Profire 610. I would like to know how i can get them out without damaging anything,what op amps are good to replace the one i have for better sound without burning anything up lol. Any help will be appreciated to the up most !!! I posted some pictures so you can see what kind they are.

Attachments

• 2012-07-27_11-18-54_957.jpg
    2012-07-27_11-18-54_957.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 2012-07-27_11-19-13_705.jpg
    2012-07-27_11-19-13_705.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 2012-07-27_11-20-11_972.jpg
    2012-07-27_11-20-11_972.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 121
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 4580 is a "cooking grade" dual opamp.

Unless you have access to a scope and can check stability of any swaps,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

then you have to play safe and go for device that are the least likely to cause problems.

I would say something like the OPA2134 FET type could be worth trying. It's excellent sonically and is pretty docile in use.

Hello to the whole diyAudio community,my name is Antonio or Toni and i'm looking for some help/advice on how to swap out i think they are op amps in my M Audio Profire 610. I would like to know how i can get them out without damaging anything,what op amps are good to replace the one i have for better sound without burning anything up lol. Any help will be appreciated to the up most !!! I posted some pictures so you can see what kind they are.

Before you go to the effort, do you have a schematic? It is helpful to know how the op-amp is used in the circuit. If it is simply being used as a unity gain buffer then swapping it out will not change the sound enough to matter.

What section of the 610 are you modifying? I would NOT touch the mic preamps. They are quite good already, Good enough for use in profesional level recording.

If these op-amps are driving the monitor outputs then "maybe" it is worth it depending again on how they are used.

As for swapping them out here is what you do:

1) Buy a hot air re-work station for about $120 or so...

2) (This is the most important step) Find some old computer motherboards and/or broken cell phones the using the above tool remove all of the components from the boards and then solder them back on the boards. Don't worry to much if you mix up the parts or but some on backwards. This exercise is just so that you have done a few hundred practice parts and "quality" yourself for

3) Having done the above your are now the expert, but I'll say, don't pull to hard upward when removong the parts it is VERY easy to left a PCB trace. They are tiny and easy to damage. But you will learn how not to do this on the firt 100 or so practice parts you remove from the broken cell phones and computers.

Having said all that the best way to improve the sound of the outputs on that device is to be sure you have all the digital volume controls maxed out to 100%. NEVER red=uce the volume with an on-screen control. Use the physical, analog knobs some place between these box and the amplifier. That is most important. Next, use balanced interconnects (TRS plugs) all the way through.

The 4580 is a "cooking grade" dual opamp.

Unless you have access to a scope and can check stability of any swaps,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

then you have to play safe and go for device that are the least likely to cause problems.

I'd add to the above that you'd be nuts to do this without a schematic. Otherwise you don't even know if the op-amp is in the signal path or if it is which signal path. This box has a high impedance guitar input. If you changeout an op amp there it will not make a bit of difference to the stereo playback. Don't know it a guitar player would hear the difference, most have pretty high noise floors

No Luck on a schematic,so i was wondering if someone could do this for me if i purchase the materials ? I have been given instructions on what to get and how to do it i just don't know how.
It cost me about 20$ for ICs and other stuff.
I changed all opamps to ne5532, except rear inputs: rear input is opa2132; biased all opamps' to class A via precision resistors, shunted all electrolite caps with small polypropylenes, increased caps in power rails, and boosted headphones amps changing feedback resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.