Wire AWG & Amperage Capacity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a simple question and could not find the answer by searching the postings.

Lets assume a 14awg wire has a current handling ability of X.

I know that (4) 20awg conductors is the equivelant of (1) 14awg.

Now, the (4) 20awg conductors are individually insulated. If these (4) conductors are bundled (paralled) together will they collectively have the same current handling capability as a single 14awg?.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

KevinLee

Hello Roddyama,

What I am trying to do is roll my own ac cord for my integrated amp & cd player etc.

According to your link, a 20awg wire on its own is good for about 7 amp of current draw.

What would be the real world amperage capacity of (4) 20awg solid core wires with teflon insulation in parallel? They will be bundled and enclosed in expandable nylon braid tubing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

KevinLee:)

Ok. Then let's see, you didn't mention your power consumption so I'll take the worst possible case... say that integrated amp is 100W class A stereo... that's like 600W consumption... round it out to 800W just in case... at 100V, that's 8A, and at 2,000A per square inch, that's 6.5A capacity... so a little thicker might actually be good. But then, somehow I doubt you have such a hefty power amp, and besides, the rounding errors I just took above add up to more than that difference anyway.

I say go for it.

Tim

Hello,

Is a 20AWG solid core teflon coated wire large enough to carry 3-4 amps of current.

I am adding a seperate bridge and filter bank to my integrated amp (for the pre-amp section). So, I am only dealing with about a max of 35 volts.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

KevinLee:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
WHOA...power cord???

Conductor capacity is based on the insulation capability..higher temp insulations allow higher current carrying densities..

PE being lowest, at about 80C, nylon and PVC next at 90 to 105 C, Kynar at 105 to 125 C, FEP, Kapton up to 200 C.

Example: a #20 PE can handle 10 amperes...while a #20 Kapton can handle 17 amps. (www.manhattancdt.com/Tech/CarryingCapacity.htm)

Also, DO NOT FORGET!!! The capacity is typically stated as a single wire, not within a bundle..when bundling, the cooling is not as effective, and the total capacity will not be the sum of the wires individual numbers would indicate.

You must also remember:: (sorry, I didn't look at what country you are posting from) The wall outlet flashover voltage in the United States is 6 kilovolts...that is the transient voltage that will cause arc over at the outlet..(and is the number typically used when designing transient suppresion devices for home use).

That means transients of 6Kv will on occasion be present across the wires...If you are not sure of the insulation dielectric withstanding in this regard, do not use it.

If you choose to ignore all the safety issues and make this cord anyway, be very careful that all the other equipment is capable of protecting you and your family..

I can only warn you..UL standards are there for a reason. (and, now I see you are from Canada...I've no clue as to their standards)

Cheers, John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.