First Boombox Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have been reading this forum a little and decided to begin a small boombox build. I have done some research and read some of the Boominator thread to get myself familiar with the project. I don't plan on building something as large as the Boominator but rather a smaller more traditional boombox.

I do not have any experience with speaker building or heavy woodwork so I am really looking forward to learning as much as I can on this new project.

AMP
I was considering several choices:
SMSL SA-S1
Sure Electronics TA2024
MUSE M20 EX2
Hifimediy T1-M
but am leaning towards the AMP6-BASIC or SA-S1

Speakers
I have read many good things about the Monacor SP-60/4 but have found it difficult to source in the US. I am leaning towards either the:
Dayton Audio RS125-4
Dayton Audio RS100-4

paired with the Dayton Audio ND16FA-6

personally I'm leaning towards the RS125 but am open for recommendations. I will leave this thread for me to ask any questions I may encounter and as a build log to track my progress.

Last edited:
Henwy,

A boombox is a great learning project, as it encompasses so many different areas of the art and engineering.

Even though you're doing something different, digging through the Boominator thread is useful, as there are a lot of general discussions about batteries, chargers, solar, amps and everything else.

Since you're new to this, your best approach may be to find an existing speaker cabinet design for one of the drivers you're interested in, then use that design, but stuck together into one unit (or make one of them removable for when you want real stereo). You can alter width, depth, etc as long as the overall volume remains the same.

I like to make a rough model first using a couple of layers of foam-core, which is easy to cut and put together (drywall screws), and actually sounds pretty good for something quick & easy. Once everything works and sounds good in that, go ahead and build in wood or whatever material you're using.

--Buckapound

Buckapound, thanks for the great tips, I definitely agree that
A boombox is a great learning project, as it encompasses so many different areas of the art and engineering.

I ended up going with the Tang Band W4-1052SD for speakers. I threw the specifications into the online calculator at linearteam.dk and ended up with these results.

KCAcH.jpg

Using Part-Express speaker specifications I achieved 26L & 53Hz. Upon research I have seen it recommended to adjust optimum Q to 1.207 instead of 0.707. This can be achieved by:

Vb = Vb / Pi
Fb = Fb * 2^0.5

This leads me to a final result of
Vb= 8.28L
Fb= 75Hz

Started to model the box using a 1.75Dia port. Overall dimensions are 15in x 7in x 6.75in. I am unsure about the bracing still.

lNwKb.jpg

XN9n8.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.