A question about locking TRS jacks - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2012, 05:39 AM   #11
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I dont use either, though I have some of the neutriks here. I'm balanced all the way baby. I use lemo 4 pin OB series, which are truly locking and smaller than most minis. they also circumvent the issue you mention, which was another one of the reasons I decided to change. the fact the phono system shorts the amp and headphones on the way in and out is a deal breaker on its own.

being DIYers, I see no reason to use phono or mini even for single ended systems.

but none of that helps the OP I guess, just an option to consider.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

The reason to use standard connectors is compatibility. If you never intend to use anything outside of the immedisate system, use anything. But it might be frustrating to take your favorite headphones to the studio and then try to plug them in with an odd connector on the cord.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:17 AM   #13
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
The reason to use standard connectors is compatibility. If you never intend to use anything outside of the immedisate system, use anything. But it might be frustrating to take your favorite headphones to the studio and then try to plug them in with an odd connector on the cord.
i'm aware of that but the standard connectors are ALL **** including 2 x 3 pin XLR, that was a stupid idea for headphones. Its easy enough to make an adapter. using a 4 pin connector you can adapt to anything, use balanced headphone outputs or SE, spades etc whatever. I have adapters for all the common formats but I use lemo directly at home. most do not have to go into the studio and if they do, an adapter should not be a roadblock

Hide this!Advertise here!