Can polystyrene caps replace my mylar and mica?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I'm real new to this and learning.

I'm doing a recap on a sony N80es amp and was wondering if I can replace the mylar and mica caps in the audio path with polystyrene?

I have read the dielectric sandwich is rolled together with the polystyrene, but this adds inductance limiting their frequency response to a few hundred kHz.
Would this have any negative influence on the sound of the amp? or could it influence the sound of the speakers?
I would just like to use one of the best types now that i'm doing the job anyway. Teflon is a bit to expesive I think.
Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
A good quality PS cap will not be any more inductive than any other type. The disadvantages of PS are temperature sensitivity (heat will kill them faster than polypropylene, mica, ceramic NP0, or polyester) and size per microfarad.

The size issue often causes more problems than it "cures" in amateur modifications. Part placement, layout, and lead length are critical to performance, generally more critical than dielectric (audiophile hype aside).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.