Construction: The best way to cut a hole for an IEC power inlet into sheet metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I usually find that rotary tools are the best for this type of job. So for the last 200 or so holes I did in sheet metal, I used an high speed air powered tool with a carbide bit. I guess a regular dremel or a similar tool with a tiny file would work too!

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

A drill, a hand nibbler, a few files, and a bit of patience.

These gadgets usually cost around $10.

Attachments

• nibbler250.jpg
    nibbler250.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 351
I always use a 10mm drill to make two holes at opposite corners for a jigsaw blade to fit through. Four simple cuts with the jigsaw and then file to the line. It's not my favourite job but it's actually very easy. Adequate jigsaws can be picked up for only £10 new in the UK.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well,

As it turns out, I might not have to do anything. I am working with Par-Metal and am trying to get a chassis made for my integrated amplifier, active XO, DAC and PSU so that I can have it all in one box.

If need be, I have files, drill, tin snips, and a dremmel, but it hasnt been used in forever and I dont know what bits I have.

-Paul Hilgeman

You have pretty much everything you need to do hand-work on your front panel, should you decide not to go with Par-Metal. You may need to get some new bits for the Dremel, they may not be cheap but they are not expensive and save a lot of time. Look for a rotary file or other metal cutting bit. As an option, look into getting the smaller jewellers files for finishing anything small.

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.