Mark Levinson Display and Potentiometer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2003, 06:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mark Levinson Display and Potentiometer

Does anyone know where I could find a mark levinson 38 preamp display and control the display control board? And the potentiometer? If someone have the schematics for those two module it could help me alot or if someone have any idea of how it works please contact me.

Thanks
Old 15th October 2003, 08:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The best I can do is to post a link to some nice pics
http://www.marklevinson.com/image_li...7&productID=10
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 21st October 2003, 10:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default How to operate it?

In fact the display is not that important. I only want for now to be able to use the preamp and to do so I need to know how the 9 pin connector work ( 1 row of 4 pins and one of 5 ) to be able to select a source , use the stand-by button and use the potentiometer. But I have no idea of how does this beast works and how to know it...

So if any of you have any idea.
Old 21st October 2003, 10:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The display they use is a four character dot matrix LED type by Infineon - I can have a closer look if you like.
They are definitely using no potentiometers but rotary encoders.
Old 29th October 2003, 10:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes if you could take a closer look that would definitely help me Holger

Do you have any idea of the pinout of the display and control that is one the board? And do you know what type of rotary encoder would work best for the potentiometer.

I dont know if it will be hard to make it work but it is indeed really instructive.

I posted a mail to mark levinson to know if the could send me a copy of the schematics of the ML 38 preamp and they never replied (not even to tell me no)
Old 29th October 2003, 11:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dismalonyx

I posted a mail to mark levinson to know if the could send me a copy of the schematics of the ML 38 preamp and they never replied (not even to tell me no)
I'm not surprised at all. If you want to get the schematic, you have to arrange it through an authorised dealer.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 30th October 2003, 05:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Mr Daniel

Mr Daniel,

is that the same Mark Levinson who is selling the Korsun (a cheap chinese amp = about 1650 rmby - $200) for $1600 and more while changing the name into Red Rose and ONE part inside ? And don't tell me I'm wrong, I had this amp shipped to me in the beginning of this year through a friend of mine who lives in Guangho and I bought and returned a Red Rose through Amazon.com !!!!!!!
It was in my place just long enough to see if they were identical (and they were!!!!!!! beeeuuuuuuuhhhhh!)
I think he changed the name into Red Rose and the rest is sad history for High End equipment.
Except for writing this story, I hate these practices so much that I even insisted that the Lexus dealer remove the radio from my wife's car (a Levinson product)
I call it despicable sales practices

Jean-Pierre
Old 30th October 2003, 03:50 PM   #8
tl is offline tl
Account Disabled

Default Single digit 5x7 dot matrix displays

Quote:
Originally posted by HBarske
The display they use is a four character dot matrix LED type by Infineon - I can have a closer look if you like.
These displays were made by Siemens, then by Infineon and now they're made by Osram.

Thomas
Old 5th November 2003, 12:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I actually bought this board from Singapore at : http://www.zenn.com.sg/mark_levinson_parts.htm
they said that they bought a ML bankrupt balance stock
and they had other nice item like a 30.5 board (with no power supply GLUP!?!)

Well they sold alot of these board... They must be someone like me somewhere trying to make this beast work...

AHHHH.....
Old 5th November 2003, 01:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Mr Daniel

Quote:
Originally posted by uvodee
Mr Daniel,

is that the same Mark Levinson who is selling the Korsun (a cheap chinese amp = about 1650 rmby - $200) for $1600 and more while changing the name into Red Rose and ONE part inside ? And don't tell me I'm wrong, I had this amp shipped to me in the beginning of this year through a friend of mine who lives in Guangho and I bought and returned a Red Rose through Amazon.com !!!!!!!
It was in my place just long enough to see if they were identical (and they were!!!!!!! beeeuuuuuuuhhhhh!)
I think he changed the name into Red Rose and the rest is sad history for High End equipment.
Except for writing this story, I hate these practices so much that I even insisted that the Lexus dealer remove the radio from my wife's car (a Levinson product)
I call it despicable sales practices

Jean-Pierre
It is not the same company. Mark Levinson equipment is sold by Madrigal which is totaly different from Red Rose. Only the man's name linking those two companys is the same.

Hide this!Advertise here!