JRC or NJM 4580D question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello all,

I have this Project audio mm/mc preamp that uses JRC 4580D opamps. Are they pin compatible with NE5532, OPA 2134 etc? I suspect so but could not find a spec sheet somewhere. I want to upgrade its sound. Which well known opamp pin out the 4580D follows?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi salas
Here's a datasheet from the 4580D.
http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/ae/ae04056.pdf
here for the NE5532:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/datasheets/NE_SE5532_A_SA5532_3.pdf
and here for the OPA2134:
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/opa2134.pdf

I don't know for sure but I recall Per-Anders saying somewhere
that the AD8620 is a very good opamp. (Watch the Max voltage!!)
Oh, and there's plenty of info on this site about it the 8620.
Here's the datasheet as well:
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/734705833AD8610_20_c.pdf
www.google.com is also a great search engine.
Be creative, try searching for "NE5532 datasheet" or similar
terms. It's a great source of info. :)

Now it's up to you to have a look at the specs ;)

/Hugo

Standard dual opamp pinout.

Eric.

Attachments

• 4580d.jpg
    4580d.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,640
Netlist said:
I don't know for sure but I recall Per-Anders saying somewhere
that the AD8620 is a very good opamp. (Watch the Max voltage!!)
Oh, and there's plenty of info on this site about it the 8620.
Here's the datasheet as well:
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/734705833AD8610_20_c.pdf
I'm not the only one who really likes the AD8610/20.

AD8610/20 is slightly better than OPA727/637 on almost every parameter except noise. I'm really impressed by the extremely low offset voltage.

salas said:
Hello all,

I have this Project audio mm/mc preamp that uses JRC 4580D opamps. Are they pin compatible with NE5532, OPA 2134 etc? ------------------------------------------
Yes; they don't sound very nice although the pro world (Behringer etc) seems to think it's great. When replacing with 86xx be careful about the maximum rail voltages.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
as for sound

Ages ago I have runned comparisons in a fixed gain stage (x10).
5532s where odd....2604s where good but rather crude....627 was very impressive but tiresome and hi-fi, short of contrived in the long run...637 was better but could not use it as a buffer.
LT 1028 was fast and clear but had metallic midbass....
Made one out of 12AU7 valve....well it stomped allover any opamp!
But I cant be putting valves anywere all the time...
OPA 2134 looked promissing and I replaced OPA 2604 in a cdp...it sounded more grainy...it was a step back from 2604!
Maybe it sounds better in other applications? AD never tried...heard it in a friends line stage (825) it suffered bass impact although it was more natural than BBs more fluent.
What would you say for trying out 2134 in the mm/mc I wanna upgrade now? cost must stay low and a drop in replacement must be.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
forgot to mention bias

when I was changing the V+,V- voltage I got significant sonic differences with all op amps too. Most of them proved happier near their upper limit. 627,637 needed about 17V to sound best. LT1028 also. That is why I think I may have been unfair when substituted 2134 for 2604 in a fixed cdp circuit. Other parametres come in play too...decoupling, capacitive loads etc.

Any opinions on the Texas Instruments equivalent, part number RC4580? The specs are the same, but I would think that the actual construction is different, and that the sound will be different too. I just replaced a bunch of Mitsubishi M5218's with the TI RC4580 in a receiver that I am repairing, and I am so far pleased with the result. The noise floor is definitely lower. The specs say that the TI RC4580 should sound better; anyone with better ears than I have ever listened to it specifically and have an opinion? I am sure that TI produced this opamp in order to gain some market from all those that like to use the NJM4580/JRC4580; do you think that TI did a better job on their version than the Japanese did on their own?

macboy said:
Any opinions on the Texas Instruments equivalent, part number RC4580? The specs are the same, but I would think that the actual construction is different, and that the sound will be different too. I just replaced a bunch of Mitsubishi M5218's with the TI RC4580 in a receiver that I am repairing, and I am so far pleased with the result. The noise floor is definitely lower. The specs say that the TI RC4580 should sound better; anyone with better ears than I have ever listened to it specifically and have an opinion? I am sure that TI produced this opamp in order to gain some market from all those that like to use the NJM4580/JRC4580; do you think that TI did a better job on their version than the Japanese did on their own?

Most likely! TI was one of the first in audio opamps so they must have learned something building the old TL07/08x series.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.