Easy Query - Mosfet - IRF540 Types

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My first post and project. Never tried any electronic work before but am reasonably intelligent and am trying to do my homework.

Found a very useful thread on here covering my problem and hope to follow it to a successful conclusion..or a minor explosion..we can but try.

Im sure this is obvious to you guys but to me...not so much.

To fix an Arcam Alpha 8r I need a new Mosfet IRF540, the RS website gives x10 versions! the difference is ampage, is this a tolerance or an output level? Can I use any?

If it helps this is the link to the thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/166785-arcam-alpha-8-dead.html

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Most of the 10 versions on the RS site come from just two issues: package (TO-220 through-hole or surface-mount), and manufacturer. The electrical characteristics should be similar, within normal switching FET tolerances.

If you have never tried any electronic work before then the first thing you need to do is learn how to solder, and then how to desolder. Also how to use a meter to measure voltage and current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.