BNC male to BNC male adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How fast is the DAC receiver? Provided your connection transit time is significantly shorter than the receiver response time it should not matter how much shorter it is. There is an argument that a longer cable can reduce jitter, because it gives more attenuation of reflections.

Ideally, your jitter reduction device should be next to the DAC on the same PCB. Even then you have PCB traces acting as transmission lines.

I am trying to find a BNC male to BNC male adapter with teflon insulation. All the ones I find have Delrin. I did find one supplier for adapters with teflon insulatin, but they want a $50 minimum order. Anyone know of a supplier who will supply just one? Thanks

You didn't specify if you need 75 ohm or 50 ohm. That is orders of magnitude more important to your signal than the dielectric material at any frequency, and especially at the frequencies used for your application (which you also didn't specify but did mention in a later post).

john dozier said:
we are talking femtoseconds here
I'm not entirely convinced that we are even talking nanoseconds here. And of course the receiver chip will have a clock recovery PLL to filter off high frequency jitter. S/PDIF can survive relatively unscathed after passing through an RCA connector (complete mismatch, although fortunately short) so a short length of correctly terminated cable with ordinary decent quality BNC connectors will do no harm.

"Straining at gnats" is the phrase which comes to mind. If you are really worried about jitter then your jitter reduction circuit needs to be next to the DAC chip, as I said earlier.

I am ready and eager to learn more about digital transmission, but I had been lead to believe that any "echoes" of the signal would cause jitter. Those who work in these realms are invited to provide instruction. Regards

To prevent or damp-out reflections, use the proper value of termination resistor, wherever needed. See the simple practical procedure for doing that in the post linked here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...lm-caps-electrolytic-caps-30.html#post2828689

Cheers,

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.