BNC male to BNC male adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
................Or, is it different connector types that account for the bandwidth differences?

Go back and read carefully. RMJ1 explained that all TNC connectors
I have been reading and the second part of my original question is repeated here.

Is the 10GHz discrepancy due to using different connectors?
Or, is it due to the difference between 50ohm and 75ohm?

It appears from what is being said that the majority of the difference is due to using 75ohm cable in a 50ohm connector (only performs adequately to 1GHz) and using 50ohm cable in a 50ohm connector where both cable and connector are designed for maximum bandwidth.

If that had been made clear at the outset then I would not need to ask.
But this was posted.
50 ohms are good to at least 11GHZ, 75 are only good to about 1 GHZ.
without stating that the 75ohm example was using the wrong impedance connector.

I know that correct termination is required. It never occurred to me that Rjm1 would use a 50ohm connector on a 75ohm cable and use that example of a mismatch to decry "all" 75ohm transmission, just for the sake of scoring a point against the use of 75ohms..

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Get a good BNC-BNC cable with Canare or Belden cable and connectors. It will work great. I use them day in, day out for high bandwidth video and digital audio. They work great. When they don't, you see it right away.
See Markertek or Blue Jeans Cable. Get two, while you're at it, a longer one might come in handy some day.

Andrew- as already said, the loss in bandwidth is due to the design of the 75 ohms connector to be intermatable with the 50 ohm version, by cheating in the the design of the dielectric insulation. A properly designed 75 ohms version would by any means be as good at the 50 ohms version, but they would not connect to each other.
See here - look at the TNC section...
HUBER+SUHNER - Connectors

BNC should do just fine for this application like stated here before, I used BNC connections at my previous job (design / testing of TV RF front ends, roughly 40MHz - 1GHz), for testing TV's against Nordig, DTG, Digitenne specs and it never failed me. Also much more handy then using N or SMA type connectors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.