Need cap help for Adcom GTP-600 Tuner/Pre-amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need cap help for Adcom GTP-600 Tuner/Pre-amp

When I got this GTP-600 it would only tune stations 105 thru 107. I found a helpful post that said that the culprit was often variable capacitors CT101, CT102, CT103, and CT104 (indicated with red arrows in attached image). Indeed, after turning them back and forth and using some DEOXIT, everything immediately began to work perfectly. However, every couple of weeks the tuner fails again, and I have to take the cover off and do the same procedure, turning them back and forth, and using DEOXIT. This has been going on for a couple of months now.

Any ideas of what might make the fix longer lasting, or do I just need to replace them? And, would it be likely that I could find the exact same caps through a supplier, to make it easier for me to swap them out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adcom03.JPG (309.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 27th May 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would suspect a bad solder joint somewhere in the neighborhood of the trimmer caps. Can you get at the bottom of the board and "touch up" the connections (look first and see if you find anything "suspect"

Charles
Old 27th May 2012, 07:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I should be able to do that. I will make it the next thing I try. Thanks.
Old 28th May 2012, 03:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

DeOxit is wonderful stuff and I use it on everything except the wife .....

But it isn't the tool for this job. You need a "tuner cleaner" that leaves no residue at all. Variable caps are susceptible to any sort of contamination.
Old 7th June 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The GTP600 stopped working again, so I used that opportunity to remove the circuit board and touch up the solder connections for the caps. Put the board back in, without rotating the caps or etc., and it has all worked fine since. So, hopefully it was just a broken or cold soldered connection, and the problem will not happen again. I have really liked this tuner.
Old 5th February 2014, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

THANK YOU penr0295

Hide this!Advertise here!