Isolating L and R grounds???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a quick question about building a stereo amplifier. When building the circuit is it ok to tie both the left channel and the right channel grounds to the main AGND for the circuit or should the two channels remain isolated from eachother? i.e. seperate grounds for the left channel and right channel. Will there be any noise or cross-talk picked up by tieing them together?

I know this seams like kindof a dumb question but I am going to use the LM4765 stereo amp for a pair of surround speakers in my system and this chip has a seperate ground pin for each channel and this makes me wonder if each channel needs to be kept seperate.

Any info that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Shawn

i beleive national has some relevent info in the datasheet. basically if there is "signifigant" current flowing in a common ground path, a signal will be created at both amplifers. so there will be some crosstalk. star grounding gives each signal and ect... its own ground return wire so that signals do not have to travel across the same resistance and thus become superimposed at the inputs of the amplifer. note that the effect may also be reduced by changing the size of the wire to a larger gauge as this should reduced the voltage drop across the wire.

it should be easy to allow the amplifer to take either method.

Isolated Grounds

I seem to remember a reader's letter to an old issue of Audio Amateur (~1990) regarding "Dual-Mono Grounding". As I recall, the reader exclaimed that once he separated the L & R grounds, it opened up a whole new clarity for "spatial separation", or something like that.

Anywho, I think it is worth trying. This would entail separate power supplies for each channel.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.