Sample request tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many manufacturers offer samples of pieces that hobbyists would like to play with. The problem I have run into in getting samples is that I am not an electronics manufacturer, even though I work for one on the business side of things. Does anyone have tips for those of us who are not engineers or manufacturers on how to acquire samples?

Cree Power Products - Request to Purchase Cree 50A SiC Power Die Sample

There are two ways to get samples. One is to go to the manufacturers web site and request them. The other is to contact the local sales rep and make a request. In both cases there are several stock questions they will ask. 1) Is this for product development, and if so what is the target product sectror. 2) Where in the devlopment process is the project? early r&d, pre-production, obsolencense? ect. 3) What is the anticipated production quanties per year? So if you just want one or two to play with, that is not what samples are for, and personally I don't blame them for not giving away parts to those who have no intention of going into manufacturing. That being said there are some companies that are more DIY friendly than others. I will leave it to the reader to find out who they are.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.