Omron relay G5SB-14 & S/PDIF / Optical

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I need to switch between Optical or Coaxial on my dac and I would like the button to be on the front, so I thought I'd use an SPDT relay so I won't need to run signal wires down the case (twice).

I have an Omron G5SB-14 relay on my parts box and I know it would do the work. My question is whether you consider that a good solution and that this specific relay won't degrade the signal by any significant figure.

Thanks.

The relay will de-grade the signal. There are better relays, cant get to my stuff at the moment for part numbers, but on reflection i have seen similar signals switched via a relay, but ultimate fidelity was not the main concern but having an unbreakable communication network.
Could you provide a quick schematic of what you want, so there is no ambiguity.

I have a Valab NOS DAC that I modded, it comes with an SPDT switch on the back, that selects between Coax and Optical. The common is connected to the DIR9001 receiver, A to Coax inner ring, and B to optical TTL if I'm right (after the jack that translates light to electricity).

I want to bring that switch to the front. So I used a relay, and connected the front switch to it's coil.

I have two other relays that I can use:

1. Omron G6H-2 5V
2. Takamisawa SY-5-K 5V (gold contacts)

Also I can think of two other ways to accomplish this:

1. Using two discrete FET's to form an SPDT switch (N & P).
2. Using a 8ch analog mux, like 74HC4052.

Here are the schematics: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylsvh1ytq6smg73/k-1.pdf
The switch I'm talking about is "SW1".

Thank's!

Last edited:
Any active component (FET, buffer) will add noise. In other words, it will introduce jitter. Therefore I think using a relay is a good choice, provided the relay is designed for RF. Not sure about the types you mention, but a reed relay should perform well.

Cheers

Sebastian

I think you misunderstood me marce, I want to replace that mechincal switch (SW1) with something that I can control with 5v logic remotely (from the front of the case) :)

Thanks sebastian, unless someone thinks differently, I'll go with the relay (probably use the Takamisawa).

The fact that I have a mechanical switch there already, doesn't matter, because it will be replaced (either with a mechanical relay, or a piece of silicone), so what I try to say, is:

You have a mechanical switch there anyway

Should not be a factor.

And if you meant by saying that, that there won't be any sq degradation because originally there was a mechanical switch anyway - I say that the original design is not necessarily "good", and can be improved if it needs to be :)
(That's why I came here)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.