Help to build a Transfromer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 600VA UPS transformer. Now want to build a 63V – 0V – 63V 10A from 230V. I want to use That UPS transformer bobbin to create my new transformer (63.0.63) Please anyone here know about how to make a transformer what I want please tell me how I winding my transformer I want to get to know about 230Coil SWG?, 26V Coil WSG and about round.

If the primary winding is already for 230V, just leave it as it is. If it's on a separate bobbin, so much easier. If it's on the same bobbin as the secondary winding(s?) it's normally the innermost layer. You remove the old secondary winding (or windings if there are more than one). For 63V you need to wind the new secondaries with a turns ratio of 230/63 = 3.65. That is 1 secondary turn for each 3.65 primary turns, of course.

To ***** the number of turns on the primary, count the turns on old secondary as you remove it.
If, for instance, your old primary is 24V, the number of turns on the primary wil be about 230/24 = 9.58 times more than you unwound from the old secondary. If counting turns on the old primary is impossible (maybe you cut it off with a sharp woodchisel or a Dremel tool - but take care not to damage the primary windings!) you can make a good estimate with a vernier caliper, a letter scale and a little math (the laquer on a strand of the wire will be around 5% of the total diameter, practically none of the weight and the density of copper is really close to 9 g/cm3).

You can also wind a test-secondary with a small number of turns (10-50 should do) and measure the voltage you get. This is a practical method if you chisel out the primary before you disassemble the transformer. If you only have a crude voltmeter, make enough turns to get a reliable measurement. For example: with 10 test turns you measure 0.342V. you have 0.342/10 = 0.0342 volt per turn.

Once you know how many turns you need for your new secondaries, calculate how thick wire you can use (a little math and geometry is needed). If you wind it neatly, orderly and tight you can fill around 60% of the space with pure copper. Count on a little less the first time you try! You want the new wire to be as thick as you can possibly fit into the transformer. If you dont use all the space available your transformer will not be able to deliver nearly as many watts as it could before. Another thing to consider is how much of the available space you want to use on insulation between layers of winding. If you use nothing at all (apart from the laquer on the wire), you have a greater risk of the transformer shorting out some day and setting the house on fire. Do not get the idea of using teflon-tape for insulation! Toasted teflon gives off extremely toxic fumes. (We are talking serious neuro-toxins. If you see a teflon coated frying pan left on a gas stove starting to give off smoke - hold your breath, without inhaling first, and run for your life!).

Play it safe: before rewinding the transformer, test it with a heavy load, say 90% of its 600W rating for several hours and see how hot it gets. After rewinding, make sure you never run it nearly as hot as that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.