Factory Refurbished?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I was looking for a new AM/FM player for my car, and noticed that a lot of sites such as these offer refurbished products. While I've never bought refurbished products before, the prices seem to be attractive enough that I'm considering it.

Has anyone had any experience buying factory refurbished AM/FM players before? What is your opinion, would you advice for/against it?

Thanks in advance!

Factory refurbished means that the unit was returned soon after purchase. You probably shop at places where they accept all returns. That is one of the sources. Those returns are often because the buyer didn't really know what they were buying. There are some units that were dead out of the box or soon failed these are also included. There also are some that were returned as unsold inventory. Major retailers often return unsold goods after 90 days.

All of the refurbished units mean a human actually opened the returned item, check that it worked or fixed it, and then made sure it was repacked with all the usual junk included.

So although the unit may have small scratches or such it is actually often a new unit!

Be careful who "Factory Refurbished" the item.

I bought a factory refurbished PURE DAB radio from E-Bay. It failed after a week. When I took it apart the repair was ABSOLUTELY APPAULLING. I contacted PURE and they, in good faith, sent me a new replacement.

That is to me an eBay problem. They use a check off the box in the item's description without an option of non-factory authorized warranty station or fixed it myself.

Of course the refurbished warranty is usually the same as new. Then if it breaks near the end of the warranty the manufacturer often does not have any units left for exchange so in most cases you get a brand new current model! Happens rarely but it does happen.

I quit buying "factory refurbished" items from Big Lots, a local retailer. There is always some weird thing wrong that you don't figure out for weeks. The DVD player that records and plays fine, but no other DVD player in the world can read the format. The tape player that only binds up the tape around the takeup reel on every fifth or sixth tape. The electric drill that the power switch sticks on below 50 deg F. That is enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.