Transformer for 200KHz - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer for 200KHz

Hello, I have little knowledge of transformers.

I am looking to use a transformer to amplify a voltage of 1V-3V rms at 200KHz to something like 30V rms at 200KHz. Current consumption expected to be approx 100mA - 300mA.

I am not sure what type of transformer to use, how many turns on the primary/secondary and what diameter wires .

Any help appreciated.
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is that 100mA - 300mA on the 1V-3V rms side of the transformer or on the 30V rms side?
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is 100mA-300mA on the 30V RMS side.
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:17 AM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

bandwidth is often limiting - how fast/much does the signal change in amplitude, frequency

isolation is another critical parameter - how much pri-sec V do you have to withstand, any safety requirements, any pri-sec leakge current, max parasitic C?
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was looking for basic design/shopping options - eg iron core or air core, toroidal or E shape (I am not sure about the names) etc.

Bandwidth - frequency will be fixed at 200KHz. Amplitude will also be fixed at the appropriate level. Isolation not necessary as the primary will be in the order of a few Volts and the secondary again a few tens of Volts. I am not sure about the rest of the parameters, eg leakage currents and paracitic capacitances.
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A readily available Ferrite RM core or small EFD or ETD core transformer will work. At 200kHz then the standard power ferrite grades used for SMPSU transformers such as N67, N87, 3C91 or 3F3 will all do a good job.
I guess there will be no dc current flowing in the transformer? In this case you can use an ungapped core. Have a look at Farnell or RS to see what ungapped RM10 core and bobbins they have. As an alternative you could salvage a suitable core set and bobbin from a scrap SMPSU. Have you calculated what inductance you will need on the transformer windings?
Although your application is for a sine wave (I guess), this on-line SMPSu resource might help.
Design of switch power supplies
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello akis
May we know the application?
It may help us to give you an appropriate answer.
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:11 AM   #8
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Iron core not the best for losses at that frequency, requires thin lams

toroids are worst for pri-sec parasitic C, can be painful to wind by hand

look ar Sw mode PS transformer design info - ferrite pot cores are better at self shielding come with standard bobbins, clamping, mounting hardware

DC on pri would be a limiting issue with material selection - no problem as long as AC coupled

quite a few sw converter xfmrs are now stock items - searching for adequatly speced part may take some time, depending on how close you want, easier if high "overkill" ratio not a problem
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

As you are asking a very generic question, here is a starting point.

Buy Transformers and Ferrite Kits & Cores RM 10 coil former, 12 pin power Epcos B65814C1512T1 online from RS for next day delivery.

The formulae for calculating the number of turns have been iterated more times on this forum that I guess to remember.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If I had to guess, it sounds like maybe he is making an SMPS.

Hide this!Advertise here!