Replace Shoei capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently upgrading/modding my nakamichi ec100 active crossover and separate power supply.

It has light blue "shoei" caps in both the crossover and the power supply but I cant find any info on the net about them.

I want to upgrade them if they are not very good but unsure to what?

Anyone have any info on this brand?

There's this constant desire to recap things and "upgrade" caps, with no real info on what's already in there. My advice is to measure what you've already got- value and loss, before lifting pads and traces and generally downgrading the whole unit. You can either buy a digital cap meter with loss (not that cheap) or build a simple bridge from a few parts (pdf on my site), or at the very least, buy or build an esr meter. That will only give you half the information, but probably the more important half, and you could combine it with any cheap DVM having a capacitance function. Without some actual data, one is just flailing in the darkness!

BTW, even if you had a datasheet, capacitors typically exceed their datasheet specs by so much that comparing paperwork doesn't tell you a lot.

Last edited:
Hi, that light blue shoei solved hum problem in my dac dht tube out heater (1.25V), in my case 1uF/100V. put there before cerafine, mkt, mkp to no avail. I should bought more of them.
What league? I don't know, saw several of them in old (japan made) sony car amps, good enough I guess. (the ones near trim pot)

best, TeguhPS

Attachments

• tda1541_dht_tube_out.jpg
    tda1541_dht_tube_out.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 254
Forget the brand, if it's functioning, not bulging and passes an ESR test then it's what it was supposed to be. Nak does not generally suck.

Like ide2003, I am happy to replace the small lytics you find in the signal path with film. Modern cap construction and the economics of DIY electronics doesn't leave much excuse for things like 0.47uF electrolytic coupling caps.

Mostly, subbing in audiophile approved brands just because doesn't help much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.