Time line of Dual 8pin Op Amp development

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interested in a Time Line of pin-compatible Dual 8pin Op Amp development
(i.e. approximate date of release for each)?

TL072, LM833, NE5532,LT1028,LF442,AD812,NJM4560,OPA2604,
AD826,LM6172,OPA2132,LME49720, etc.

Are all truly pin-compatible and can they be substituted
for one another in audio circuit such as preamp,
active crossover, etc?

THX.

There is some history in the Op Amp Applications Handbook available at the Analog Devices Web Site.

The parts have different parameters optimised such as cost, bandwidth, noise, offset, current consumption etc.

My contribution to the Time Line is:-

TL072 is an early JFET input amplifier, I have a Texas Instruments Data Sheet dated September 1978.
NE5532, Signetics, Data book dated September 1977.
LF442, National Semiconductor, Data book dated 1982.

I wouldn't ask for information until after I read the Analog Devices "Op Amp Applications Handbook".

I seem to recall the uA747 being released about 1969 or 1970. Motorola's original MC1458/MC1558 were not long after. I think you're as much as 5 years late on your date for the TLO72 (1978); I'd guess 1974 or '75. The early JFET opamps (LF353 et al) from National were a year or two earlier.

Those are my recollections; now your job is to do the scholarship that supports or disproves them. It may not be easy, since the original manufacturers are gone.

Dale

1974 or '75

I wouldn't ask for information until after I read the Analog Devices "Op Amp Applications Handbook"

Thanks- is it posted somewhere here on the DiyAuidio website (I did a search-n/a)?

I thought this website was a place to ask questions, (rather than solicit "read/buy a book" recommendations). :confused:

So far we have:
TL072, 1975/6.
NE5532, 1977.
LF442, 1982

As far as compatibility, for instance, I have two electronic crossovers, one using TL072's, and the other has LF442's in active, audioband filters. Which of the following modern dual opamps would be a "plug-in" replacement for each of them; OPA2604,AD8620,LM6172,OPA2132 or LME49720?

TIA

Hello,
Your question is difficult to answer. Hence the suggestion of looking at the Analog Devices Web Site that has a description of operational amplifier history at http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/39-05/Web_ChH_final.pdf
It mentions dual operational amplifier pin out, JFET input operational amplifiers and other stuff.

Kevin stated 'Pin-compatibility is only one small item in a long list of engineering questions that must be answered to determine if op-amps can be successfully substituted!'

There is no sure fire "plug-in" replacement for anything though often it will be OK. For instance the LF442 is a low power part. If you substitute a higher bandwidth lower noise part with a higher current consumption the power supply may not be adequate. The bipolar input operational amplifiers generally have lower voltage noise but have significant input bias currents that may or may not give problems if you are substituting TL072 of LF442 JFET input operational amplifiers.

Why do you want a time line? The parts have different parameters optimised at the time of manufacture and knowledge available when they were designed. You are also listing parts from different manufacturers where commercial issues, process capability and availability all affect the history.

clm, I will assume you have looked up the data sheets on the parts in your list to see which include dates. Are there some you could not find? Perhaps we might find the missing ones.

And just one man's opinion, forums like this one are places to share ideas, moreso than information services.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are all truly pin-compatible and can they be substituted
for one another in audio circuit such as preamp,
active crossover, etc?

THX.

While many can be sustituted straight off, many more need minor adjustments to the circuitry to perform correctly. In reality each has to be looked at on a case by case basis.

[As you are talking about dual opamps the offset null configurations don't come into this but for single opamps they do as there are different set ups].

This applies just as well to dual as singles,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

The oldest linear power was Fairchild but they were particularly partial to TO5 cans. 101 etc, They kind of ****ed out at the 741 for a while. My signetics databook was 1974. They were the originators of NE parts like NE555 timer and NE5532 op amp. I don't think their book had above NE558 by 74. National Semi was a little later into IC's with them being particularly proud of the LM741 and LM324 about 74 if I remember correctly. I think they had the DIL LM741 before Fairchild. Motorola made you buy the databooks instead of them being free so mine are 1979. TI TL071 is a FET containing IC, **** 3 legged discrete FET's were new on the block about 1974 so I think it must be much later. Analog Devices books in 74 were still full of hybrid module parts, big potted assemblies. I don't think they got an IC factory until later.

Last edited:
Instead of hitting National and Signetic head to head in the DIP op amp market, Fairchild had a hit with the 7815 7915 etc heat tabbed voltage regulators. About 1976 they used that package to make high powered op amps in butterfly heat sink and TO220 predecessor heat tab packages. They had voltages available up to +-24 I think. These were 78 prefix parts. I have some samples and they would be handy for audio applications but they must have had yield or reliability problems, as you can't buy these parts anymore.
TI didn't do linear 8 pin in 74-76 as far as I can remember. I think their linear effort grew out of their SN75xx interface parts line that supplemented their SN7400 TTL logic market dominators.

First monolithic OpAmp was designed by Bob Widlar and made by Fairchild - u702 in 1963, followed by u709 in 1965 (see below, page H45):
Latter Bob Widlar moved to National Semiconductors and created LM101 in 1967. That is the first true (second generation) OpAmp.
Fairchild replied with uA741 less than one year latter.
NatSemi replied with LM101A and LM107 in 1968.
Fairchild replied with uA748 in 1969.
741 was copied by many manufacturers, including Motorola with a pair of 741 in a capsule - MC1558/1458.

http://www.analog.com/static/import... Amp Applications Book (PDF)/P2 ChH_final.pdf

Last edited:
1963 Widlar @ Fairchild 702
1965 Widlar @ Fairchild 709
1967 Widlar @ National 101
1968 Fullagar @ Fairchild 741
1974 ? @ Raytheon 558
1975 ? @ National LF355 (But RCA CA3130 was the first FET Op amp a few months
earlier)
1976 ? @ TI the TL082
1976 or thereabouts the NE5532 (My recollection)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.