diode 3 9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all

I removed a shorted diode from a car amplifer with the marking 3 9 0n it.The symbol on the board is the zener symbol.I remove another one with the same marking and put in series with a 1 k resistor and apply 24v dc to it.I did not get any voltage droup across the diode.Is this just an ordinary diode?

hi all

I removed a shorted diode from a car amplifer with the marking 3 9 0n it.The symbol on the board is the zener symbol.I remove another one with the same marking and put in series with a 1 k resistor and apply 24v dc to it.I did not get any voltage droup across the diode.Is this just an ordinary diode?

Even an 'ordinary' diode will have some voltage drop when forward biased - usually around 0.6 - 0.7VDC. The same goes for a zener diode when forward biased. The zener voltage is obtained when the zener is reverse biased. So perhaps you did not apply enough voltage to get to the reverse bias point of the zener. Try a higher voltage and see if you get different results.

Zener is .6-.7V forwards (plus on blank end), zener voltage backwards (plus to line). Current through 1k might blow a tiny zener with 24v behind it, I'd use 10k . Zeners tend to be grey or brown, transient absorbers tend to be blue or green. Some series have the voltage printed on them, 3 9 might be 3.9v.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.