Which relay for audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dunno how good those are. Why don't you just put them in the signal path and take a listen? Surely this would be more valuable than the opinion of strangers with unknown hearing deficiencies :)

I like the Panasonic TQ2. Digi-Key Part Number 255-1002-5-ND

Last edited:
In my opinion any relay design for small signal switching should be OK.
The Panasonic TQ2 contacts are gold plated which is good for small signal.
The Teledyne relays also look good, they are using gold contacts.
I prefer and have used reed relays where the contact is sealed from the outside world to prevent contamination.

The problem with general purpose relays is that after time the contacts can go high resistance when switching small signals. When switching a few volts they are OK because I presume the volts and current break through the oxide. I think that they use silver plated contacts which oxidise, OK for power but non ideal for small signal. The trouble with gold plating is that it isn't very durable so isn't good for power relays.

I don't know about mercury relays. I don't think that they are necessary and I am not to keen on using the metal. Interestingly it is OK now to use it because it is 'Green' or at least someone has made money out of manufacturing / subsidies for flourescent lamps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.