TL072 opamp replacement

I have a Crate VC508 guitar amplifier that many recommend modding by replacing the TL072CP opamp chip. I got a TI NE5532 off ebay. It's supposed to be a stright up replacement but it's about a third of the size. The TL072 is around a half inch rectangle with 8 legs going into a socket. The NE5532 also has 8 legs but is less than half the size. I need a low noise drop-in replacement for the TL072CP (I broke one of the legs removing the original). Any suggestions?:headbash:

Hi,

NE5532P worked just fine and dandy replacing the TL072P on my bass
amplifiers input. Far lower input noise and it sorted out some other
issues. There is no need to look elsewhere if it works, very little point.

rgds, sreten.

The "best" is usually the most expensive, and not applicable to guitar amps.

Hi,

Again ?

pdip8.jpg

The standard part should fit. This won't :

soic-8.jpg

rgds, sreten.

My part looks exactly like the top picture.
The one I'm replacing looked the same but was nearly 1 1/2 times bigger.

Hi,

A TL072 is exactly the same size as the NE5532P - standard DIP package.

I've never come across an op-amp that isn't standard size or smaller.

You are mistaken, the parts are the same size.

rgds, sreten.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Mr. Jabba, Unless you have no other choice, buy your devices from Mouser or Digikey or places like that. Some unsavory sorts of people will straighten the legs of an SOIC device and photograph it in such a way that it looks like a DIP device without any size reference. This may be what happened to you. These devices are industry standard and use industry standard package die on which to mount the actual chips. All 8 pin DIP packages are approximately 340mils X 300mils. If your device is about 200mils X 150mils it is likely a SOIC with straightened legs. They run about a $1.00USD each.

^ Maybe; but do pay attention to PSU decoupling as the latter chip is a LOT faster and needs an adapter (assuming your ne5532 is DIP). It also has a bit of a wiggle in the top of its loop-gain function, which *might* cause instability in some tone-control circuits.