Low ohms relay - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 06:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Low ohms relay

I have a saved board of an old analytical instrument and it has 6.5 ohm coil relay. There r others with 25 ohms coil. No voltage or current is specified. Contacts are 4 changeover and r pcb mounted on sockets.

Is there any purpose for such a low resistance and what voltage/current is to be supplied for activating them.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 28th March 2012, 10:32 AM   #2
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Very low resistance relays are used with thermocouple flame detectors, but they would probably be even lower resistance than your ones.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
This is most likely an ac relay since the low dc resistance would suggest this.
When applying ac the overall resistance then is the dc resistance plus the ac impedance.

To find out the operating values connect the relay to a variable transformer and increase the voltage from zero volts untill the relay switches. Most common voltages are 12, 24, 48, 110 and 240.
Old 29th March 2012, 04:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

On reading your post, I visually checked the magnetizing end of the solenoid and found that these are DC relays. Operating it is not a problem and I am not keen on using these for any immediate purpose. Just enthusiastic.

12 volts across the 6.5 ohm coil will surely burn the winding.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 29th March 2012, 05:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I found some Fujitsu LZ series relays at Mouser. With similar 6.5Ω and 24Ω resistances the rated coil voltages are 1.5VDC and 3VDC.

Hide this!Advertise here!