Low ohms relay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a saved board of an old analytical instrument and it has 6.5 ohm coil relay. There r others with 25 ohms coil. No voltage or current is specified. Contacts are 4 changeover and r pcb mounted on sockets.

Is there any purpose for such a low resistance and what voltage/current is to be supplied for activating them.

Gajanan Phadte

Hi,
This is most likely an ac relay since the low dc resistance would suggest this.
When applying ac the overall resistance then is the dc resistance plus the ac impedance.

To find out the operating values connect the relay to a variable transformer and increase the voltage from zero volts untill the relay switches. Most common voltages are 12, 24, 48, 110 and 240.

On reading your post, I visually checked the magnetizing end of the solenoid and found that these are DC relays. Operating it is not a problem and I am not keen on using these for any immediate purpose. Just enthusiastic.

12 volts across the 6.5 ohm coil will surely burn the winding.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.